This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to get into an EFI shell through rEFInd

I'm given to understand that you can use rEFInd to get into an EFI shell. (command line)

However, when I boot into rEFInd, I don't see any option for a command line.

Any help?

I'm going to edit this thread within a few minutes with a photo of what my rEFInd screen looks like.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot.
    Last edited by rybnik; Aug 13, 2015, 05:43 PM.
    I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I know the rEFInd screen -- scroll way down to see if it says EFI shell. BUT, that is THE EFI shell, for advanced users. I've never used it. SteveRiley likes it. I only use efibootmgr (used from within your Linux OS at Konsole).
    rEFInd, btw, is another option for sorting out and keeping separate boot options for your various K(U)buntu OSs.
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372221
    (Isn't there a key to press for more options, or to refresh options?)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hmmm.... I've lost a long post I wrote as Post #2!!!!
      Hang on, I'll retype some of it.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

rybnik -- you've started TWO threads on the same topic, basically.

Comment

Well, I see the EFI shell offered on the rEFInd live CD but not on the rEFInd installed in my Kubuntu. I think then you need to install the EFI shell in your OS.
          Rod Smith may address the details
          http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html
          and somewhere around here (kubuntuforums.net), SteveRiley has addressed this (versions, etc.).

Comment

Search for EFI shell in this thread (SteveRiley):
            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...conquered-UEFI

Comment

Arch is usually good on their Wiki.
              Obtaining UEFI Shell

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ace#UEFI_Shell
              Last edited by Qqmike; Aug 13, 2015, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Just be aware that you need an older version of the EFI shell for some laptops (not necessarily "old" ones either, my T440s required the older one).
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by QQmike
                  Well, I see the EFI shell offered on the rEFInd live CD but not on the rEFInd installed in my Kubuntu.
                  Well, that's a sufficiently acceptable solution. LiveCD it is, then.

Originally posted by QQmike
                  rybnik -- you've started TWO threads on the same topic, basically.
                  The two threads indeed arose from the same issue. However, I'd argue that they deserve separate threads because they're different questions.
                  I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Recently,
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post376838

Comment

bcfg acts on option, or on variable?

I have one point of confusion about the EFI shell.

I understand that, in EFI shell, I can get a list of boot options by entering:

Code:
                      bcfg boot dump -v
                      And I also understand that a boot option can be removed by entering:

Code:
                      bcfg boot rm 3
                      However, the first command gives both a boot "option" and also a boot "variable" for each boot entry. So does the number in the 2nd command refer to the "option" or to the "variable"?
                      Last edited by rybnik; Aug 17, 2015, 12:06 PM.
                      I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

As I admitted, I have never used the EFI shell except to run
                        bcfg boot dump -v
                        from rEFInd to see the BootOrder.

But, like this:

Code:
                        sudo efibootmgr 
                        BootCurrent: 0000
                        Timeout: 1 seconds
                        BootOrder: 0000,0003,0001,0004,000A,0005,0006,0002,000B,000C,0007,0008,0009
                        Boot0000* ubuntu
                        Boot0001* debian
                        Boot0002* grub_sda5K1504
                        Boot0003* rEFInd Boot Manager
                        Boot0004* Mint_2
                        Boot0005* Hard Drive 
                        Boot0006* CD/DVD Drive 
                        Boot0007* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive
                        Boot0008* UEFI:Removable Device
                        Boot0009* UEFI:Network Device
                        Boot000A* Mint_1
                        Boot000B* ubuntu
                        Boot000C* ubuntu
                        BootOrder is a NVRAM variable in the UEFI firmware.
                        0000, 0003, 0001 refer to NVRAM variables (of the UEFI firmware); in fact
                        they refer to these three NVRAM variables:
                        Boot0000, Boot0003, and Boot0001.

In this: bcfg boot rm 3, the 3, I think, refers to 0003 which corresponds to
                        the NVRAM variable Boot0003. The word "boot" is just a label for the option;
                        maybe it should be called instead just "b." That command would remove Boot0003, which in my efibootmgr example would correspond to the rEFInd Boot Manager.

I'm not sure if that clarifies anything. The person to really address this
                        is SteveRiley as he has used the EFI Shell to actually do some things (whereas, as
                        I indicated before, I have only used efibootmgr to get work done).

Comment

Mike,

Well yes, you're talking about efibootmgr, which only gives one number for each boot entry. My point was that the bcfg boot dump command in EFI shell gives two different numbers for each boot entry--an "option" number and also a "variable" number--those two are different for each entry.

So using bcfg boot rm to remove a boot entry is scary because, for instance, the "option" number of one boot entry is the same as the "variable" number of another boot entry, so I don't know which one will get removed!

I'll PM Steve Riley.
                          I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

I see what you mean now.

Comment

Working...
                            X