Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

all buntu et al partitions have only one slot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] all buntu et al partitions have only one slot?

I have two ubuntu partitions--one has Xubuntu 15.04 and the other has Kubuntu 14.04.

But when I run efibootmgr -v, "ubuntu" only appears once in the list.

So then I can't use efibootmgr to remove one of them? Because that could only remove both, but not just one?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 08, 2019, 07:29 PM.
    I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

You are correct in suspecting that ALL your K(U)buntu FAMILY distributions share the same UEFI subdirectory /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu. But, they don't actually "share " it: The most recently installed K(U)buntu OS installs its GRUB boot files in /EFI/ubuntu, overwriting whatever was there beforehand. Then the GRUB boot menu of that most recently installed K(U)buntu OS will contain boot entries for all your other K(U)buntu OSs. Not the best deal for us Ubuntu-derived distros.

So you can leave things like that. Or, you can explore some options. You can also make adjustments, basically controlling which OS is the most "recently installed" (e.g., by using grub-install and update-grub).

Your dual-boot options are explained in my how-to, Section 6:
    UEFI for Kubuntu--simplified ... and some dual-booting tips for Kubuntu
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post373198
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Between Xubuntu 15.04 and Kubuntu 14.04, the latter was my "most recently installed."

So I was a bit rash and just deleted my 14.04 partition in gparted. After rebooting into the ubuntu bootloader, I just got a grub command line prompt.

But after setting the openSUSE bootloader as the default boot option, I am able to boot into 15.04 graphically. I have even since deleted the ubuntu bootloader with efibootmgr. My next *buntu installation, whenever that is, will give me a functional ubuntu bootloader, but for now I'm more than content with just using the openSUSE bootloader.

It seems that the openSUSE bootloader accomplishes the same things that a lot of us are using rEFInd for.
      I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Working...
      X