This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Nvidia drivers for GTX 285 dual monitor setup

Been struggling with getting nvidia drivers installed on new kubuntu 14.04 installation for weeks now. Here is my system specs:

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard
    i7 - 3770K CPU @3.5GHz
    16 Gig of ram
    Geforce GTX 285 Dual DVI video card
    2 - QNIX QX2710 LED 27" HD monitors (2560x1440 resolution)

I have tried every driver recommended by kubuntu for additional drivers and in each case I end up with no siginal to my monitors and I am forced to remove the drivers and go back to the nouveau driver which would be OK but... As soon as I go back to the original nouveau drivers the originally working configuration for the spanned dual monitor display goes to mirror mode. I can see no way to configure the displays without the proper nvidia drivers installed.

These newer versions of Linux somehow work without an xorg.conf file or with one if you create it. If I have to create it, then that's getting too deep for me. I just need to get the thing working like it was in the initial install and be able to update my system without losing my display settings. There in lies the problem. When I go to update and install stuff, somewhere along the way my display configuration gets hosed and I'm left with above problem.

So it looks like I need the nvidia proprietary drivers so I downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.76.run file from nvidia and burned it to CD. Now what do I need to do to get these drivers installed properly? I run the thing and get no signal to my monitors. I did read the other thread with the guy who had a QNIX monitor also and he had to manually configure an xorg.conf file. That's a little beyond me at the moment. If there is anyone who can help me out with that here I would appreciate it. It sucks these things cannot auto configure at this stage in the Linux game but that's where Windows still prevails I guess.

BTW, this was as installed as a dual boot between Win7 and Kubuntu and the main reason I want to use kubuntu is for using the thinkorswim platform in Linux. It freezes up all the time in Windows7 and I'm fed up with it.

I don't have any experience with QNIX monitors, but have you tried using the xorg-edgers ppa? https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+...art=0&batch=75 Everything there is usually the latest version, so it might help.
    I also found on linuxquestions.org this: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...de-4175504592/ , maybe the user redbot can offer up some help as it seems he got his QNIX monitors working .

Comment

Just hacked an xorg.conf file together that works for the login screen but as soon as I login the signal to the monitors goes away. is there some other configuration files specific to my home directory that would override the xorg.conf file? I seem to remember reading about a displays.xml and some other *.xml files in there but cannot find them. I'm getting close to figuring this out.

Edit: I just tried logging in as guest and that didn't help so any other ideas why the login screen works but after logging in the displays lose signal?

Edit2: Well at this point I have no recourse but to reinstall from scratch. Nothing is working. I really don't need the NVidia drivers, I just want a working desktop like it was in the initial install. Thanks for the help anyway.

Edit3: Just finished installing v15.04 on two different machines and as long as I stick with the nouveau driver its all working good. The way the display configuration works with nouveau was very confusing since both displays were superimposed on each other. Once I dragged the window to make it bigger and slid the DVI-1 display to the right I was able to see the other port (DVI-2) underneath it. After saving the settings everything is setup the way I want after doing the updates.

Comment

Working...
      X