This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bypass the install or try screen, boot live only

So I've got a usb thumb drive which I've successfully set up 3 portable operating systems on. Win7PE SE, Debian Live (Standard, no X), and Kubuntu. I have everything functioning smoothly, but I have this one minor wrinkle I'd like to iron out: I'm never ever going to click "Install" on the screen which asks if I'd like to install, or try without installing. If I wanted to use my USB stick for installing I'd just load into Kubuntu and do it from there. But I can't for the life of me get around that dang screen.

I've followed instructions that apparently work for vanilla Ubuntu, changing /syslinux/syslinux.cfg, but apparently that has no effect. I can't find any info specific to Kubuntu for disabling this screen and booting straight to the desktop, so does anyone have any idea?

Setup of my USB stick, in case it matters:
    5 partitions -
    Partition 1: 5GB, FAT32, Win7PE SE, loads via Grub4DOS
    Partition 2: 1GB, FAT32, Debian Live (Standard), loads via syslinux
    Partition 3: 2GB, FAT32, Kubuntu, loads via syslinux
    Partition 4: 8GB, EXT4, persistence volume for Debian.
    Partition 5: 8GB, EXT4, persistence volume for Kubuntu.

The drive bootloader is Grub4DOS, which launches the Grub4DOS menu in partition 1, which has options for Debian and Kubuntu, which are simple chainloads, using tag files to identify the proper partitions and then handing startup off to the bootloader in those partitions (syslinux in both cases).

This setup was quite hard to accomplish btw

I figured this out a while after posting the question, but forgot to update the thread. In case anyone else wants to know how to do this later, you just remove the "maybe-ubiquity" parameter from the syslinux boot menu entry in txt.cfg

Comment

cool ,,,,,, and thank you for coming back with the answer to your own Q ,,,,,, it may help someone elce.

+ I hate that annoying screen my self , and thanks to your work now I can/will disable it on some of my live media.

thank you

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
      X