This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Muon[s] future ?

Jonathan Riddell wrote on ( https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/plasma-devel ) : AppStream and Muon BoF at Akademy 2015 - https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasm...ly/042860.html
    Try Me !

It's "unmaintained"?! That's to bad.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Boy, change. I would really miss Muon as I've learned to use it to get just about all the package info I need. And if you are helping someone on the forum, it is easy and convenient to refer them to the use of Muon (vs CLI) to do something. Hope the replacement works as well.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        It's "unmaintained"?! That's to bad.
        Only Muon Package Manager. The rest of Muon appears fine, and is undergoing the name change to Discover.

Comment

I don't care for Muon Discover. I hope Discover has all the features Muon had.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
            I don't care for Muon Discover. I hope Discover has all the features Muon had.
            It was some time ago that I used Muon Discover and at that time I could only install one package at a time which I found very frustrating.

I would be interested to know if this is still the case as, when I do a new install, I have a file that contains a list of packages to install. With Muon Package Manager, I can go through a string of packages and mark for installation and, when I have selected all the packages I want at that time, I then apply changes and go away and do something else. I would be very upset if this option was removed.

Comment

I'm a big user of Muon too (not Discover). I use it every day, so easy to see dependencies of apps I'm looking to install. Although I'm used to using apt in a terminal I still prefer the Muon gui way. Muon Discover is obviously aimed at newbies.

There must be heaps of user of this app. I much prefer it over the old package manage that was in 11.04 (KPackageKit?) which I found to be horrible to use. I guess I could always go back to Synaptic which I used in Ubuntu.
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Well, there was Apper (based on PackageKit), but the developer has stepped away. Indeed, Apper has been removed from the repositories for Vivid and later.

AppStream looks like something to keep an eye on...
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppStream
                http://freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/

Comment

It's been a long time since package managers have been in flux.

a blast from the past

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Adept! I remember kinda sorta liking Adept circa Edgy.

Comment

Interesting how many different opinions there are on these issues. Many, many people--including some of our active members around here--disliked Adept. I had absolutely no problems with Adept at all, and liked it.
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

i had no problems with adept . i have no problem with synaptic other then having to install GTK stuff for it . honestly i do mostly all my package stuff with apt . the most i use the GUI package managers for is to search.
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                        X