This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving /boot

When I installed, I made a 100Mb boot parition. Now I want to use grml rescue disk. This requires ISOs to be in /boot/grml
    The question is this....
    If I resize /boot, I will likely kill my install, or will I?
    Can I change the size or relocate /boot to another area without a total reinstall?

If you attempt to move the /boot partition or reduce it in size you will probably not be able to boot your pc. If you want to increase the boot partition you should be ok to do that as it won't delete / over write anything in the boot partition.

It seems funny that it wants to put an ISO (disk image) in a sub directory on the boot partition?

Comment

I question is how is your system configured / why do you have a separate /boot? If you're using a fancy RAID or LVM and that's why you have a separate /boot, you may be stuck.

Another question: Doing a rescue on this disk? It's data-suicide to do anything to a disk your attempting to rescue.

Why not a symlink to /boot/grml?

Finally, grml intro says "Grml is a bootable live system (Live-CD) based on Debian. Grml includes a collection of GNU/Linux software especially for system administrators. Users don't have to install anything on fixed storage." (bold added), so why are you installing something to the fixed storage?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I question is how is your system configured / why do you have a separate /boot? If you're using a fancy RAID or LVM and that's why you have a separate /boot, you may be stuck.

Another question: Doing a rescue on this disk? It's data-suicide to do anything to a disk your attempting to rescue.

Why not a symlink to /boot/grml?

Finally, grml intro says "Grml is a bootable live system (Live-CD) based on Debian. Grml includes a collection of GNU/Linux software especially for system administrators. Users don't have to install anything on fixed storage." (bold added), so why are you installing something to the fixed storage?
        Well, I killed my /home when I tried to reduce the lvm size and remove a pv. So, I redid the system and just put the home on a raid-0 with two 1Tb drives. third 1Tb drive has /swap on a 16Gb partition, /tmp is on it's own 15Gb partition, as is /srv with the rest. Everything else is on the 500Gb SSD.
        With respect to boot-rescue grml, I am not using it to rescue anything. But it's an easy tool add an ISO to grub. Put an iso you want in grub in /boot/grml, run update-grub and it adds it. Not all ISOs as I found out trying to add Clonezilla and Ping. I know that Kubuntu 15.04 will work. Will try with Backbox as I know Kali won't work. Try my hand at sniffing the local wireless networks and hacking my other linux and windows boxes. And anything else that won't land me in legal trouble.

Comment

Working...
        X