This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login loop after X error

I've got the infamous login loop problem. It started after trying to change the resolution on a game (System Shock 2 on Steam) which seemed to completely corrupt the display. I switched to a terminal and tried sudo service lightdm restart, which is probably an outdated way to restart X by now. In any case, I can no longer log in to KDE as it will load a small amount on the progress bar, then reset to the login screen. Other desktops (Kodi, Xfce) are fine. I've been trying to find a solution for a couple of days, I was wondering if anyone knows what to do. Nvidia GTX 680, running nvidia-346 driver.

.xsessionerrors, Xorg.0.log, Xorg.1.log

I do not know what you mean by 'infamous login loop problem', but I do know that System Shock 2 did mung up your KDE resolution settings, setting it to something that your monitor does not support. This is Plasma specific, if you had done it in another DE, it probably would have messed it up there instead.

This game from 1998 needs special care when setting the resolution. It uses Codeweavers' Crossover to run under Linux via Steam, so you have to either specify the resolution in SS2's cfg files, or set it to run in a window then change the resolution.

(basically I am trying to remember how I fixed this exact same problem some months back. SS2 is probably my favorite game)

It will come back to me shortly, I hope

Comment

I *think* I deleted ~/.local/share/kscreen, which is where the Plasma 5 specific screen settings are stored. The file contents themselves do not look amenable to editing, so I think I just deleted the folder.

Comment

Thanks claydoh, that worked nicely. Have a cookie

Comment

Working...
        X