This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ubersoft View Post
    The transition from KDE 3 to KDE 4 was, in fact, an absolute nightmare. It was so horrifying that it drove enthusiastic supporters away from KDE. But they eventually fixed everything and KDE 4 became almost everything the developers said they wanted it to be.
    You mean we've done this before and didn't learn the lesson?
    --
    Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
      You mean we've done this before and didn't learn the lesson?
      Any one who thinks they can do better can sign on with the KDE Dev team and demonstrate their chops.
      Those that can't develop can submit valid bug reports to the appropriate bugzillas. Everyone else can just keep a zipped lip until those doing the coding and testing are done. Regardless, when one rides the bleeding edge they shouldn't be surprised If they find that some of the of the blood is their own.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 09, 2015, 10:11 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I found this amusing:

Today on a 15.04 machine, I installed Kile and then on the first time running it, got this message.
        I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by rybnik View Post
          I found this amusing:

Today on a 15.04 machine, I installed Kile and then on the first time running it, got this message.
          Talk about stale leftovers ,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I am running Arch as a test guest OS under VirtualBox because it features KDE5. Plasma5 under Arch is very stable and fast, but it still lacks a LOT of features that Plasma4 has, as rybnik pointed out. That is a problem that time will solve. Patience is the answer. Currently, I still prefer KDE4 under Kubuntu 14.04, and will continue to make it my main OS unntil its EOL, if Shuttlesworth allows it. I believe that by the time 14.04 hits its EOL plasma5 will have everything plasma4 has and more. So far, however, I still prefer plasma4's rich 3D look compared to plasma5's flat, pale look.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              So far, however, I still prefer plasma4's rich 3D look compared to plasma5's flat, pale look.
              In case you haven't seen it GreyGeek, there is a new-ish Oxygen look and feel for Plasma 5 available.

I haven't tried it. Breeze was too bright for me. I'm a total Breeze Dark fanboy now.

Comment

yeah, the Oxygen theme has been there a while now, as well as many other options. I like Breeze overall, but like a transparent, or at least a decently translucent panel. so I often mix and match theme elements. been using a newer third party plasma theme, breeze-transparent .

Comment

i also have an arch plasma5 machine for awhile now and i have to agree with GG i don't really care for the flat "modern" look . i feel in general it lessens the user hints for where buttons and whats clickable . Everything just looks flat. I would love to get QtCurve working for qt5 with theme support. Since i have an HiDpi screen on that machine im stuck with breeze or breeze dark since they seam to be teh only widget themes that the scaling is applied to .
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                    In case you haven't seen it GreyGeek, there is a new-ish Oxygen look and feel for Plasma 5 available.

I haven't tried it. Breeze was too bright for me. I'm a total Breeze Dark fanboy now.
                    I gave it a shot and it was a little too dark for me.

Comment

Strangely I found plasma 5 fairly easy to get working on Arch while I couldn't get KDE 4 to work despite them still recommending 4. I'm going back to 14.04. With hindsight I should have stuck with Kubuntu 14.04. Ubuntu's crap installer makes it difficult to multiboot more than one Ubuntu derivative distro. I also find that Ubuntu derivative installs can mess up my other distros in odd ways. Kubuntu is the best distro to ween people off Ubuntu, but I think its also the best distro for people new to Linux. So the efforts of those cutting ahead with Kubuntu plasma 5 are much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X