This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with Muon Updater?

Newest version I got when I upgraded to 15.04 doesn't list security updates. Don't I get an option not to update to some fix for something I don't use?

You're probably better off installing Muon Package Manager and use it to define the updates you want.
    Last edited by Teunis; Jun 28, 2015, 02:14 AM.

Comment

It's not that I specifically want to exclude anything, but it would be nice to know what is being updated. Or is Kubuntu turning into Microsoft who assumes you don't need to know and shouldn't know what is being done to your computer?

Comment

Are you not seeing updates or notifications at all, or are they simply not being broken down into system and/or security updates?

Check to make sure that the update widget is enabled in your System Tray's settings. I seem to recall some some reports of it being unchecked for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Are you not seeing updates or notifications at all, or are they simply not being broken down into system and/or security updates?

Check to make sure that the update widget is enabled in your System Tray's settings. I seem to recall some some reports of it being unchecked for some people.
          I see a message telling me that I have let's say 6 updates and 3 are security updates. I'll open the updater and see 3 system updates and no mention is made of the 3 security updates. No option I can find will show them. When I do commit to install updates, it updates all 6 packages.

Comment

I have to find it, but that is a bug. The popup is incorrectly specifying the number and type of updates, though the updater still lists the packages to be updated.

On my systems today it is saying that I have '6 packages to update, of which 2 are security updates'.
            Running apt update and apt full-upgrade, it shows 2 packages.
            Going back and clicking the 'Update' button on the widget, it shows the same two packages to upgrade.
            I will assume that these are security updates.

Nothing nefarious, just a bug in the updater widget.

Comment

I have to find it, but that is a bug. The popup is incorrectly specifying the number and type of updates, though the updater still lists the packages to be updated.

On my systems today it is saying that I have '6 packages to update, of which 2 are security updates'.
              Running apt update and apt full-upgrade, it shows 2 packages.
              Going back and clicking the 'Update' button on the widget, it shows the same two packages to upgrade.
              I will assume that these are security updates.

Nothing nefarious, just a bug in the updater widget.
              No! I see the correct number of updates in the widget which will say something like you have 6 updates, two of which are security updates.
              I click the widget and the updater shows that I have 4 system updates. It will d'load and install 6 packages.
              Perhaps a bug, but also perhaps a way of forcing security updates.

My big fear is that Linux starts treating me like Microsoft does and decides I'm too damned stupid to know what updated I should install.

Comment

No, it is a bug, no one is doing what you fear, unless you have manually selected to have security updates automatically installed in your Software Sources configuration. Anything other than this would produce many extremely loud screaming and complaining from a very large number of Linux users worldwide, as well as in here - including myself.

How do you determining that it is installing 6 packages, when it is showing 4? Does using apt match/not match what the updater is showing?
                I think it may be somehow related to this bug:
                https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=347602

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=347479

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1469049

Comment

No, it is a bug, no one is doing what you fear, unless you have manually selected to have security updates automatically installed in your Software Sources configuration. Anything other than this would produce many extremely loud screaming and complaining from a very large number of Linux users worldwide, as well as in here - including myself.

How do you determining that it is installing 6 packages, when it is showing 4? Does using apt match/not match what the updater is showing?
                  I think it may be somehow related to this bug:
                  https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=347602

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=347479

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1469049
                  I see 6 packages being d'loaded.
                  I'll review the linked bugs and do my next update with apt and let you know

Comment

OK, used apt to update and upgrade I see 2 packages

The following packages will be upgraded:
                    p7zip p7zip-full

The muon updater says I have 4 packages to update, 2 of which are security updates. I will update via muon:

Muon shows only p7zip and p7zip-full
                    went by too quick to read all the packages but it seems to have updated 4 packages dpkg was one that wasn't mentioned

Comment

If apt is saying only 2 packages stew being updated, that is the correction number. Underneath the surface, Muon is using apt to do the actual work.

Dpkg is one of the low level tools apt itself uses to install individual packages, so what you are seeing is very likely the output of these tools being run, and not extra packages being installed.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

I am getting the same bug now, too, by the way. And after I update, the update icon remains in the panel, still showing I have six packages to update, two of which are security updates. Just to check, I ran Muon Package Manager, which shows there's nothing to update.

Comment

I do hope that all posting to this thread with 'issues/problems' are also going to the links claydoh has in post #9 and adding to them. Making comments only here won't help, as the developers involved do not rely on comments made in here.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK this morning I have according to the widget, 28 updates, 14 of which are security updates. I click update and see this:

I quit the updater and look at updates with apt:

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
                            Reading package lists... Done
                            Building dependency tree
                            Reading state information... Done
                            Calculating upgrade... Done
                            The following packages have been kept back:
                            linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
                            The following packages will be upgraded:
                            cups-browsed cups-filters cups-filters-core-drivers cups-filters-ippusbxd
                            libcupsfilters1 libfontembed1 linux-libc-dev
                            7 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
                            Need to get 1,603 kB of archives.
                            After this operation, 3,072 B of additional disk space will be used.
                            Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
                            I got out of that and will update with muon.
                            I got the expected kernel packages gave it the password and it is updating.........

~$ tail --lines=5 /var/log/apt/history.log

Start-Date: 2015-07-07 11:31:17
                            Install: linux-image-3.19.0-22-generic:i386 (3.19.0-22.22, automatic), linux-headers-3.19.0-22:i386 (3.19.0-22.22, automatic), linux-image-extra-3.19.0-22-generic:i386 (3.19.0-22.22, automatic), linux-headers-3.19.0-22-generic:i386 (3.19.0-22.22, automatic)
                            Upgrade: libfontembed1:i386 (1.0.67-0ubuntu2, 1.0.67-0ubuntu2.2), cups-filters-ippusbxd:i386 (1.0.67-0ubuntu2, 1.0.67-0ubuntu2.2), libcupsfilters1:i386 (1.0.67-0ubuntu2, 1.0.67-0ubuntu2.2), cups-filters:i386 (1.0.67-0ubuntu2, 1.0.67-0ubuntu2.2), linux-generic:i386 (3.19.0.21.20, 3.19.0.22.21), linux-libc-dev:i386 (3.19.0-21.21, 3.19.0-22.22), linux-image-generic:i386 (3.19.0.21.20, 3.19.0.22.21), linux-headers-generic:i386 (3.19.0.21.20, 3.19.0.22.21), cups-browsed:i386 (1.0.67-0ubuntu2, 1.0.67-0ubuntu2.2), cups-filters-core-drivers:i386 (1.0.67-0ubuntu2, 1.0.67-0ubuntu2.2)
                            End-Date: 2015-07-07 11:34:17

So, Can't muon count?
                            Attached Files

Comment

No, muon updater can't, it's a known bug.

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Working...
                              X