This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire Install

My laptop is an Acer Aspire which runs a regular hard disk as well as a solid state disk. Sort of half and half in a way and works well except for the Windows 7 software that came with it. I left it alone for my wife but now I have a problem that I can't seem to get on top of.

So has anyone installed Kubuntu on this type of computer. The two disk thing has me a bit nervous.

I have run linux on it through a USB stick and also through a window on the computer but I can't remember the name of the window. Both work but a bit slower than if they were fully installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

How big is the SSD? If it's like 16 MB, it's intended to act as a cache for the regular hard drive. This relies on drivers for Windows. I don't think any similar drivers exist for Linux.

Do you want to keep Windows? If not, then just let Kubuntu install as normal. If you do, there are plenty of dual-boot guides here.

If that SSD is "normal" size -- say 128 GB or greater -- then I'd recommend removing the hard drive and using only the SSD as the primary drive. The performance difference is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      How big is the SSD? If it's like 16 MB, it's intended to act as a cache for the regular hard drive. This relies on drivers for Windows. I don't think any similar drivers exist for Linux.

Do you want to keep Windows? If not, then just let Kubuntu install as normal. If you do, there are plenty of dual-boot guides here.

If that SSD is "normal" size -- say 128 GB or greater -- then I'd recommend removing the hard drive and using only the SSD as the primary drive. The performance difference is amazing.
      Thank you I am hoping that what you have offered was the case. I'll put Kubuntu and try it out and if it works I will install it.

Comment

Working...
      X