Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 15.04: released with major issues - what's the logic?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there.

I had my on own rough experience with 15.04 (more here https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-Kubuntu-15-04).

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    Big software companies like Microsoft, Oracle, Adobe, etc. have sizable budgets specifically for testing their products in hundreds, even thousands of configurations. Open source projects do not. The fine folks at KDE and the fine Kubuntu developers and packagers test what they can -- but the true tests come when tens of thousands of users start to use the bits across myriad hardware and software configurations. By using interim *buntu releases, you are tacitly agreeing to participate in this process. It's the only way to get a lot of hard-to-find bugs removed for the next long-term support (LTS) release, due in April 2016.
    I agree with you on "big software companies" VS "KDE&Kubuntu" situation, but this is still bad excuse - "being right" should not exclude "being empathic" with users of your SW . Let me explain my point of view.

I also had (and I think other Kubuntu lovers too) unpleasant KDE3-to-KDE4 transition. It took time for developers, users and testers to hunt bugs and make Kubuntu stable for daily work, including critical&important tasks. And now we have "KDE4-to-KDE5(Plasma 5)" situation which is sort of deja vu - too many things broken (read - not ported to Plasma 5), instability, daily crashes, etc. "What's the problem? Plasma 5 is still new kid on the block!" you'd say. But wait, quote from kubuntu.org

The second set of updates to Plasma 5 are now stable enough for everyday use and is the default in this version of Kubuntu.
    And this is not true - it is NOT stable enough for everyday use. What I miss in this whole story - extra disclaimer stating that 15.04 is more preview release for early adopters and this is not ready yet for stable, crash-free work. This is the lesson developers could learn from KDE3-to-KDE4 transition and such a notice or disclaimer would save nights for those users who had to spend time by PCs trying to make it stable again.

Said that, I really appreciate KDE&Kubuntu developers' work - I LOVE Plasma 5. I'll be installing and testing it this October with my hopes that it will work better.

Regards
    ArtūrasB.
    Last edited by artbar; Sep 15, 2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

With the KDE3-KDE4 experience in mind, I decided to wait until things settle down and get usable, and wait for the next long term release.
      If you need to get work done or need a stable environment, stick to the long term releases.

By the way, did Lancelot get ported to KDE5 ?
      I find it a very handy tool compared to the standard KDE launcher.
      Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
      linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
      A good place to start:
      Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

I've had some rather odd problems with 15.04 on this laptop (thinkpad w520).
        The main one was that I had to do a hot reboot to get a stable system, a straight boot always ended in a lock up.
        Three times I did a clean instal and the problem always showed up.

After my recent mishap of running out of disk space I had to remove ~/.config to get back to a full desktop and oh miracle, the old lock up has gone!
        On some other hardware (AMD) I've not had any show stopper issues with 15.04

The remaining problem is a bunch of widgets and applications that need urgent porting.
        Gwenview is one of the best picture viewers I know but under Plasma5 it is severely handicapped, it doesn't recognise the orientation of the camera and the KIPI plug ins are no longer available.

Little things I miss are the QuickAccess and CWP widgets and after a brief show the dropbox is again missing.

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
          With the KDE3-KDE4 experience in mind, I decided to wait until things settle down and get usable, and wait for the next long term release.
          If you need to get work done or need a stable environment, stick to the long term releases.
          Long term releases are not particularly stable, when they first come out. IIRC KDE 4 turned up in an LTS. For stability, adopting an LTS release a year or so after its release is needed.

Another point is that one of Ubuntu's strengths is how fresh the various packages are, compared to other distros. Sometimes, to get your work done you need recent versions. Sure, on a stable platform you can build the recent stuff you need, but it can be a lot of work, particularly if you have a hardware support issue.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            Long term releases are not particularly stable, when they first come out. IIRC KDE 4 turned up in an LTS.
            That's exactly what happens in the change of "big versions" - it (LTS) does not guaranty the quality due to too many changed things. Things get better and better with each next LTS.
            Last edited by artbar; Sep 15, 2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              IIRC KDE 4 turned up in an LTS.
              Not really:
              1. It was possible to install KDE4 in 8.04 (if you really wanted to), but by default it had KDE3.
              2. While Ubuntu 8.04 was an LTS release, Kubuntu 8.04 was not (because it would have been hard to support KDE3 for an extended period of time).

KDE4 (4.1.2) became the default in 8.10.
              Last edited by kubicle; Sep 10, 2015, 01:29 AM.

Comment

By the way, did Lancelot get ported to KDE5 ?
                I find it a very handy tool compared to the standard KDE launcher.
                I don't think Lancelot has been ported yet, or if there are any plans to do so, but here is the new Plasma 5.4 Alternative Launcher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktDpkuEj3X4
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

About KF5 Launchers....

(Mouse/containment action/quick launcher) plasma-custom-desktop-menu

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=171299
                  Description:
                  A fully customisable desktop menu for plasma 5.
                  Try Me !

Comment

Working...
                  X