Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just re-booted with the Kubuntu 15.04 (live) USB installation flash drive. Clicked Install Kubuntu.
    I have on my one and only HDD just two instances of Kubuntu OSs, no Windows, nothing else, plenty of room for another OS.

I see just four install options: three are "Guided" (one is entire disk, then entire disk w/LVM, and one with entire disk w/encryption) -- I clicked each one to see the graphic of the HDD showing before and after, just to confirm the options as far as disk space; the fourth option is the "Manual" one. That's all the options I see on my setup here. No side-by-side option. If that's the case, is that good for a new user wanting to dual boot one Windows with just Kubuntu? OTOH, if you wish to have a separate /home partition, you'd have to use the Manual option anyway.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I just re-booted again, this time with the Kubuntu 14.04 (live) USB installation flash drive. Clicked Install Kubuntu.
      I see just same four install options as in Post #16. No side-by-side option.

As I always use the Manual option (since 2006), I'm not sure when the side-by-side option has been removed from the Kubuntu installer.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Aren't these, the "Guided :resize......blah blah" the same as the side-by side?
        Note that this shot is from Virtualbox, so the partitions are not correct, but do note that the bottom selection allows you to drag the divider to allocate more space to one OS, which I had never noticed before 8- (I have not dual-booted in a looong time)

I don't think the installer is smart enough to be able to detect and resize more than one existing OS install.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot23.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	642910

Name:	snapshot22.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	642911

Name:	snapshot21.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	642912

Comment

I checked again 14.04--ran it, tried the option to Install Kubuntu. I'm not seeing anything like what you posted. No option to re-size anything, no sliders, no mention of "re-size."

The options were
          Three options were labeled "Guided" (one is use entire disk; one is use entire disk w/LVM; and one is use entire disk w/encryption).
          The fourth option is Manual

In fact, the "Before" picture showing my current HDD setup (with 14.04 and 15.04 already installed into existing partitions), was very confusing to read. I never did manage to fully make sense of their "Before" diagram showing my partitions and OSs. The "After" picture was simple, in each case: the entire disk is "blue" with Kubuntu installed! Something is amiss or confusing here, for sure.

Comment

Mention that I am running the 64-bit UEFI version. In fact, in the "After" picture, it showed only Kubuntu taking up the entire drive; it didn't even show the mandatory sda1=ESP partition (500 MB, FAT32) needed for UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              That's a good point. We can't expect the average user to re-partition her/his HDD before installing Kubuntu! Kubuntu should go alongside Windows as a dual boot.

Now [devil's advocate enters ... ], your case: TWO HDDs, Windows, plus several OSs! Anyone doing that should do their own partitioning, and has the skills to do so.

If the Kubuntu installer were to offer a side-by-side option in your case, what would it be? Alongside Windows? alongside the other Linux OSs? which drive? I'm trying to think of this from the POV of a programmer writing the code to step the user through the logic and the side-by-side choices -- or would we want the installer to make these choices for us? Not me! No way! Some people might want all their Linux OSs on one drive, Windows on the other drive; some might want Windows sharing a HDD with their favorite Linux OS and their "other/experimental" OSs on a second, dedicated drive. And so on. (Been there, sometimes having 5-10 Linux OSs installed, along with XP.)

So, I'm not sure what the right way to do this should be in more complicated cases. I wonder this: suppose you only had Windows 10. Would the Kubuntu installer then have offered you a side-by-side option? Maybe. I don't know, but I suspect the answer is a "yes." If not, then THAT is definitely a problem with the installer.
              In the past you could choose what disk you wanted to install side by side on, I always keep all my Linux and Windows installations on different disks.
              Last edited by tomp01; Jun 20, 2015, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Anyone else experiment with or notice this upon installing Kubuntu? I.e., no option to install side-by-side?

Comment

Trying once more ...

Suppose you have one HDD with only Windows on it.
                  You wish to install Kubuntu 14.04 or a later version.
                  Does the Kubuntu live DVD/USB installer offer you the choice to install Kubuntu along-side Windows?
                  What does the installer say about your options for installing Kubuntu along with Windows?

Anyone have a setup where they can test this?
                  Can you also specify to us if you are installing Kubuntu 32-bit or 64-bit?

(You don't have to actually install anything. Just run the installer to that point, then select Cancel or Quit or whatever to exit the installer without installing Kubuntu.)

Thanks.

Comment

There is nothing labeled as such, but isn't the first option - "Guided: resize...."doing exactly this? Or am I missing something here?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

There is nothing labeled as such, but isn't the first option - "Guided: resize...."doing exactly this? Or am I missing something here?
                      Well, that seems to be the problem! I am not seeing anything like "resize...", nothing but three options to "use entire disk...(plain, or with LVM or with LVM+encryption)," plus a fourth option to Manually install. And that is what the OP is also saying: there is no clue about any option to install Kubuntu side-by-side with Windows, or to make room on the disk for Kubuntu, or anything like that. I've checked the live USB installers for both 14.04 and 15.04, I checked each twice.

So I'm just wondering, what if you had the simplest setup: you have only Windows now. And you want Kubuntu installed alongside it, dual-boot. Would the 14.04 or 15.04 installers detect that and offer you a side-by-side or a re-size/make room for option to install Kubuntu? I don't have any Windows here (on my machines) to test this.

Comment

Working...
                      X