This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 5 is a theming nightmare

I currently have a love hate relationship with plasma 5. Breeze looks okay, but I prefer a dark theme. Breeze dark is really buggy (especially icons). Gnome app theming is horribly broken because the Gnome devs like to break things every new release so breeze-gtk doesn't even come close to oxygen-gtk. Dolphin is still not ported to KDE5, so it doesn't follow system colors/themes. Trying to implement a system wide theme/color is a nightmare. Anyone else want to pull their hair out over this?

Oh yeah. I just remembered I don't have any hair.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Yes. I would like more themes. I tried installing oxygen dark and it nearly broke it. Hopefully there more options in the next release.
    sigpic

Comment

Blissfully, good old Oxygen -- with its visually distinctive (and therefore superior) control surfaces -- is still available.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372412

Comment

I'll try it again. I had some issues with black screen, slowness, other misbehavior that felt like incompatibility issues.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm using regular Oxygen -- not Oxygen dark. No problems at all.

Comment

OK. Installed again and seems to be working OK. Last time I didn't install the oxygen-cursor-theme. This time I did. Thanks
            sigpic

Comment

I seem to only have oxygen dark available. For window decorations I only have org.kde.breeze and Plastik. In spite of that, it is much easier to read mail now and all together easier on the eyes.
              sigpic

Comment

Here, all in System Settings

* Workspace theme -> Look and Feel: Oxygen
                * Workspace theme -> Desktop Theme: Air
                * Workspace theme -> Cursor Theme: {pick your favorite}
                * Color -> Scheme: Oxygen
                * Icons -> Icons -> Theme: Oxygen
                * Application Style -> Widget Style -> Applications -> Widget style: Oxygen
                * Application Style -> Window Decorations: org.kde.oxygen
                * Application Style -> GNOME Application Style -> GTK2 theme: oxygen-gtk
                * Application Style -> GNOME Application Style -> GTK3 theme: oxygen-gtk
                * Application Style -> GNOME Application Style -> Icon theme: Oxygen

Comment

It looks much better. Thanks.
                  The only thing I am really missing is Application Style -> Window Decorations: org.kde.oxygen
                  There is a post about it here.
                  I have Plasma 5.2, and org.kde.oxygen is available in plasma 5.3.
                  sigpic

Comment

Whoops! Forgot to list the package kwin-decoration-oxygen. I updated my other post with this information, too. You'll need to add the Kubuntu backports PPA to obtain this package.

Comment

Yep. Have that installed now and desktop looks good.
                      In Plasma 3 About System was moved from System Settings to the KDE Info Center
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X