This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from 13.10

I've been trying to upgrade from 13.10, a version that I originally installed to support the RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter on my Toshiba laptop. 14.04 wouldn't recognize it. First, is there support for this adapter on 15.04, and secondly, how do I upgrade in such a way as to not lose all the installed software, settings and docs?

Thanks.

if 13.10 had the drivers for it then all the rest since should as well ,,,,unless it is a rely old device ?

the best way to see is to just make a Live USB/DVD and try it .

perhaps their is a airplane mode switch/key that you accidentally hit and turned off the wireless and/or a fisical switch on the box that turnes it off ,,,,,, or did not have the wireless box checked in the network management widget in the system tray and or it's airplane mode check box.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Upgrading by jumping (a few) versions is generally not possible, the exception is with LTS versions but 13.10 is not one of them.

The advise I would give is to make a list of programs you want to keep using so you can reinstall them after a fresh install of 15.04.

Assuming you took the advice to install your /home on a separate partition and making sure you don't reformat it during the new install, most of the configurations could survive.
      A problem is that Plasma5 tends to store these configs. in different locations than before...

Assuming you don't have a separate /home partition this is the chance to make one!
      Copy your existing home to it (maybe via an external disk) and then install.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X