X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advances

<rant>

Until now I don't get much joy out of this 15.04 Plasma5 experiment.

Since installing it I've noticed some improvements like originally I could not use the nVidia drivers, now they are somewhat usable and nouveau has turned into a dog.
    The biggest problem with nouveau is that I can no longer shut down without resorting to the Magic Keys.

nVidia 304 gives the best experience, all others up to 352.09 will a few minutes after booting cause the Global short cuts to fail.
    But contrary to a few days ago the rest of the system stays accessible.

Gwenview has become rather useless and it's not because of the multiple icons, without intervention it just won't rotate portrait shots and the next time you log in they're probably upside down.
    Custom keyboard short cuts are no longer persistent after shut down.

This is on a Thinkpad W520 with an Intel Optimus and Quadro 1000M video card.

Strangest is that the build in Intel card is even more useless than the nVidia...

Then there are the issues with lacking widgets, like I am very fond of the localised calender in version 4.
    Or the option to click on the System widget and get the System Monitor.
    With no global short cuts I really miss the QuickLaunch widget.

During the KDE3-4 transition I mainly stayed on the previous version but that one (14.10) will soon lose support, I might have to go back to 14.04.
    </rant>

However, it's great weather, the working week is over and I'm going into the garden!
Working...
X