This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kmail doesn't seem to quit

today I migrated all my email from kmail to Thunderbird because I've changed email addresses and was having configuration problems with kmail. I tried to quit kmail, and it *appeared* to quit, but I'm still getting kmail notifications when a new email comes through, suggesting it's still running in the background.

however...

kmail doesn't show up in the task manager, so it *can't* be running! what's going on?
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

This is precisely why these open source projects are mostly dysfunctional. No regard for the end user. I'm sorry, I had been trying KMail and it even wouldn't show my inbox. Pretty weird. What you can do of course is deinstall the application with apt-get remove or something similar. Otherwise, you might be able to clear the settings (the email account you have set up) within KMail. That's all I can do for you. I wish general computer knowledge would be enough ;-). Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
      today I migrated all my email from kmail to Thunderbird because I've changed email addresses and was having configuration problems with kmail. I tried to quit kmail, and it *appeared* to quit, but I'm still getting kmail notifications when a new email comes through, suggesting it's still running in the background.

however...

kmail doesn't show up in the task manager, so it *can't* be running! what's going on?
      In recent versions of KDE/Kmail, the mail notifications are handled by the akonadi backend...so your mail gets checked and you receive the notifications even if kmail is not running.

Comment

> In recent versions of KDE/Kmail, the mail notifications are handled by the akonadi backend...so your mail gets checked and you receive the notifications even if kmail is not running.

I thought this might be the case. however, I think I've found a setting that disables this behaviour...

in Configure > Accounts, if you click on the "retrieval options" dropdown there's an option to "switch offline in kmail shutdown". why on earth this isn't the default, I have no idea. anyway, I checked that box and now I don't seem to be getting those ghostly notifications anymore.
        "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

in Configure > Accounts, if you click on the "retrieval options" dropdown there's an option to "switch offline in kmail shutdown".
          Yes, this will tell the akonadi backend to stop checking for mail when kmail isn't running (which also means you won't get the notifications either). Whether you have this enabled or not doesn't affect kmail itself, just the akonadi agent for that email account.

why on earth this isn't the default, I have no idea.
          Why shouldn't it be? I for one, don't wish to keep kmail running all the time, but I'd still want to get notified of new mails (so I can fire up kmail to read 'em)...of course defaults are just that, defaults you can change to fit your preferences.

Comment

If anyone truly wants to follow the posts moved from this thread, you can go look for it in the (anti)Social (non)Casual Talk section.

Comment

Working...
            X