X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

root account works but not with gui-apps

Hi@all,

I want to enable the root account in kubuntu. For my test I install a fresh kubuntu with a user "temp" and try the following procedure:
    Code:
    sudo passwd
    afterwards I call 'visudo an edit the following line:
    Code:
    Defaults        env_reset,targetpw,timestamp_timeout = 0
    In the kde-termin (konsole) it works. I can use 'su' to work as root but when I try to open a gui tool which need admin-right the system aks me for the "Admin-Passwort". My root password doesn't work but the password from the user "temp" still works.

How can I activate my root-account for use the gui-tools?

with best
    pixel

Maybe ?

Wondering - why not to install a distribution with the normal root ? - Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Searching a bit...

Older, Kubuntu Forums, with the KDM: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-Root-Password

AskUbuntu, with the LightDM: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12628...a-root-account

Comment

Are you using the pw for temp or for root? When a tool asks for the pw, it wants your user pw. Also make sure your user is a member of root and/or administrators group

Comment

IMO, installing another distro just to get a root account is huge overkill. Your command is wrong.

To enable the root account:

sudo passwd root

To disable it again:

sudo passwd -dl root

<INSERT USUAL CAVEATS ABOUT RUNNING GUI AS ROOT HERE> Lack of security, eventually you'll trash the system, etc...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          IMO, installing another distro just to get a root account is huge overkill. Your command is wrong.

To enable the root account:

sudo passwd root

To disable it again:

sudo passwd -dl root

<INSERT USUAL CAVEATS ABOUT RUNNING GUI AS ROOT HERE> Lack of security, eventually you'll trash the system, etc...
          Sudo passwd will work. One of the first things I do after install. Don't use su a lot, but like the option there to use it on command line when needed

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
            Sudo passwd will work.
            Obviously, I didn't know that! I don't do this often so that's not surprising. I came from a distro with the root account enabled by default but since then have learned to use and like the Ubuntu way. I find sudo -i covers everything I need that sudo is too laborious for and other than Dolphin, I don't have the need for GUI programs using root. Of course, with Dolphin, I just use the Root Actions menu...
            Last edited by oshunluvr; Aug 28, 2015, 05:24 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Code:
              sudo -i

Comment

Working...
              X