Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I open the 'start' menu without a mouse?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I open the 'start' menu without a mouse?

I upgraded to 14.10 but it messed up freezing the mouse in place however I was still able to log in using tab on the keyboard

I'm hoping upgrading will fix this problem but I don't know how to open the 'start' menu with the keyboard and I figure I could just tab around to do the rest with muon upgrader

As far as I know there is no default keyboard short cut assigned to the K-menu.

Press Alt+F2, this should at the top of the screen bring up a little terminal called Yakuake where you can type in a command like Muon, press Enter.
    And then the question is if you can operate Muon without Mouse...
    I just noticed yakuake is not installed by default, bummer.

Maybe it's better to do the upgrade from a proper terminal:
    Press Ctrl+Alt+F4 and log in with user name and password.
    Next you type these two commands followed by Enter:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Wait for completion.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Check the results so no important applications are going to be deleted and then answer with yes and Enter.

Once done you can return to the normal screen with Ctrl+Alt+F7

Another option to try is offered at the log in prompt. you can log in in rescue mode and see if the mouse problem has gone or at least do the fix from a terminal.
    Last edited by Teunis; May 24, 2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

OK, maybe I'm being a bit nit-picky or pedantic but pressing Alt+F2 brings up something called "Krunner" I think (not Yakuake). On my system I have Yakuake installed too but I use the default keystroke to bring it up: F12.
      Last edited by Rod J; May 24, 2015, 09:16 PM.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

'Alt+F1'

Comment

Working...
        X