This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Playback Device is not Persistent

After upgrading to Kubuntu 15.04, my audio profile isn't being saved across sessions. Actually, it seems it's randomly reverting back during the same login session, which is very strange. The KDE settings keep reverting back to my "Digital Stereo (HDMI 2) Output" device, which is a working device (it's my monitor speakers), but I want to use my externally connected speakers that work through the "Analog Surround" device.

I remember this happening in previous Kubuntu versions and having to remove and reinstall several sound packages so that profiles would be persistent across sessions. Is anyone having the same issues and/or have found a fix?

How are you changing it to "Analog Surround"?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      How are you changing it to "Analog Surround"?

System Settings -> Multimedia -> Audio Hardware Setup -> Profile.

Comment

Originally posted by vicodan View Post
        System Settings -> Multimedia -> Audio Hardware Setup -> Profile.
        That isn't a permanent change; instead, the Profile drop down is a selector for the items in the Device Configuration section of that window.

Try right-clicking on the volume icon in the system tray. Choose Select Master Channel. In the window that appears. choose Built-in Analog Surround and click OK. (Note: the window might appear underneath any other open windows on your desktop.)

Does this make the change permanent?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          That isn't a permanent change; instead, the Profile drop down is a selector for the items in the Device Configuration section of that window.

Try right-clicking on the volume icon in the system tray. Choose Select Master Channel. In the window that appears. choose Built-in Analog Surround and click OK. (Note: the window might appear underneath any other open windows on your desktop.)

Does this make the change permanent?
          No, it doesn't. It reverted back to my 'Digital Stereo (HDMI 2) Output' profile an hour or two later. I don't even have to logout of my session for my profile to revert, which is really odd.

As a workaround, I tried to run 'pactl set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo' via cron, but unfortunately the default Connector is Headphones and not Line Out.

Comment

Hm, I don't have a setup with multiple sound outputs so I can't simulate your situation. I hope someone with a similar setup will come along here soon.

Comment

I was able to trace the problem to when my monitor entered power saving mode. Once it comes out of power saving mode, the audio profile switches to that device. Very strange. I ended up blacklisting the snd_hda_codec_hdmi module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf so KDE only sees 1 sound card now and won't switch. I suppose another workaround would be to prevent the monitor from power saving and just use a screen saver.

Comment

I know this wont chang the switching of sound output device ,,,,but you can easily redirect the output with kmix ,,,,,,,,just click the kmix icon in the system tray ,,,,,you will see a slider for whatever is playing audio to the right side of the popup ,,,rite click the icon at the top of that slider ,,,point at "move" ,,,,,click the output device you want the audio to go to

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X