This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences Upgrading.Reinstalling

I upgraded my 14.10 system (boot & 1 LV) over a week ago, and there seemed to be no problem initially After a few updates, and attempting to change the translucent icons, the system just quit booting. This is an Asus "Crosshair V" motherboard with an FX-8320 liquid cooled processor, 16GB RAM, with 3 SATA drives plus one SS drive. [64 bit software]
    I had installed the system initially on one of the SATA drives, a Seagate 1TB. All had gone great with 14.XX. I had installed the boot loader in the MBR of that drive, because I wanted the whole system on one drive, although I have XP installed on one of the other drives also. I just made the Linux drive the first drive in the boot order.
    I'm honestly not sure what went wrong. I tried System Rescue, tried the Ubuntu server CD, downloaded that 'boot-repair' program, nothing seemed to work.
    I then installed 15.04 on another 500MB drive, thinking I might see something on the installed system that would jog something, or lead me in the right direction.
    No luck. Yesterday, I finally performed a complete new install of 15.04 on the original 1TB drive.
    I made a LV for my /home directory after booting from the 15.04 DVD and it installed fine from that point, rebooted just fine, performed all upgrades and installed misc software along the way, and transferred my mail back to Thunderbird, and other files to their respective /home directories. 'Installed the NoRa desktop theme, and icons are fine now.
    I definitely have made a few backups, and things look OK at this point; 'got all my original apps installed and the original icon layout back on the desktop.
    I like the new release, but for some reason, upgrades just never appear to go as well as original installs.
    Well, my experience, good luck all, I'll probably be back for help on who knows what !

BTW: I do send in those crash reports, when they happen.
    Last edited by larsd; May 12, 2015, 08:04 AM.
    Murphy's Laws are always in play, and visit us at the most inopportune times.

Working...
X