This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop beeping when trying to boot from live USB

I created a live USB using the Startup Disk Creator because I want to try 15.04, but not install it yet (I'm currently on 14.04 still). I've just been trying to boot from it and something weird happened, so now I'm scared.

I plugged in the USB stick, then restarted and pressed down F12. I wasn't sure when to start pressing F12 so I just did it as soon as the screen went black, which made the display starting blinking and keypresses were being output to the screen.
    I thought I must have pressed it too soon so I waited until the shutdown sequence stuff was being displayed and then pressed F12 again.
    then my computer started beeping loudly, with the beeps really close together. a menu I assume was the grub menu showed up, but by this point I was so freaked out I just removed the USB stick and hard shut it down because I thought my computer was going to explode :P

everything was fine when I turned my computer on again but I'm afraid to try restarting with the USB stick plugged in now. I googled the beeping issue and while it seems other people have had a similar issue, I wasn't able to find an answer about what causes it. according to the user manual for my laptop, there is a "BIOS beep" which "notifies of hardware issues" but it doesn't say what those hardware issues might be.

anyway, my computer is perfectly healthy as far as I know...and I think the USB is fine too, I know USB sticks aren't particularly reliable but I've never had a problem with this one and I let the startup disk creator take care of formatting it for use as a live USB.
    so did I do something when trying to boot from the USB?

p.s. I'm not really sure what forum this should go in sorry
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Use this method to build your live Kubuntu flash drive:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...aller-using-dd

The various disk creators do not always work.
    Beeps: your BIOS/motherboard manual (search on-line or at the MB manuf site for your manual) will tell you about the beeps.
    I wouldn't worry about the beeps or motherboard for now.
    Use the link to make a good flash drive, and go.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

argh...thankyou, but this looks really intimidating and I think I'm way more likely to mess it up than the startup disk creator is :S

regarding the beeps, I don't think the BIOS guide will help me because it didn't sound like a beep code. it was just continuous beeping, no long, no short, no gaps. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. didn't stop until I unplugged the USB (or maybe it stopped when I let go of F12...can't remember)

I found this video on youtube of a similar kind of beeping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgThj4RfZ2M
      even that has more of a pattern than mine did, but I agree with one of the commenters about the "stuck key" quality. also, that's the same BIOS I have.
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

You do have to be careful using the dd method for your flash drive. OTOH, there's too many negative reports on the disk creators. The dd is sure-fire. But I do see your point. (I use dd all the time, but then, well, I do a lot of silly things here ...). dd is safe if you get the target output file of= right. of=/dev/sdX => you must get the X right. If you have one HDD, then it is probably /dev/sda and your flash drive would then be /dev/sdb. You can run sudo fdisk -l to see your drives, or sudo gdisk -l to see them.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

yeah, I actually tried to create the live USB manually first so I know what it's called (I think it is sdb, or something similar to that). knowing me though, if I used the dd method I'd probably make a typo at the last minute and wipe my entire hard drive.

at this point I'm mainly concerned about whether I did something wrong when I tried to boot from the USB/what the beeps mean. assuming the beeping was indicating a stuck key, does that mean it thought me holding down F12 was actually a stuck key? did I press F12 at the wrong time? did it not recognise the USB stick? nothing really seemed wrong, I got the grub menu...it just seemed confused about the F12 key.

Comment

You are trying to boot in UEFI mode, right?
            So your Kubuntu has to be 64-bit, not 32-bit.
            And when you re-boot and enter your "BIOS," that's your F12 key?, you must select the USB flash drive to boot from
            In your "BIOS" (bad terminology), find the Boot menu, find the USB flash drive, but pick the entry that says UEFI, not just any entry on the flash drive. There may be more than one entry for the flash drive, or for the live DVD (also, for DVD, pick the entry in BIOS that indicates UEFI).

Comment

And for your Kubuntu iso download, you did check the iso file for correct md5 or sha sums, right?

Comment

sorry, I'm kind of clueless about this stuff...I wouldn't know if I'm booting in UEFI mode or not, I don't even know what UEFI mode is!
                my kubuntu is 64-bit, though. so is the one I put on the live USB.

I'm not sure I did check the MD5 sum of the iso >_> so yeah, I should probably have another go at making a live USB.

but but but, I think this is all irrelevant to my question anyway because I didn't get as far as trying to boot from the USB. I just freaked out when I got the beeping and pulled it out. I didn't even really look very closely at the menu that came up, where I presumably would have been able to choose what drive to boot from, had I not removed the USB stick in terror. I repeat: I did not try to boot from the USB stick. all I did was plug it in, restart and hold down F12, and unplug the USB again without doing anything. I know, I'm silly! :P

Comment

If F12 is the key you are supposed to hit to enter your computer's "BIOS" setup (bad terminology), you only have to tap the key once, twice, maybe three times, lightly. Try again?

Did you tell us the name/model of your laptop in case someone here has specific experience with it?

Comment

ahhhh I clung onto the F12 key like my life depended on it! no wonder the poor computer was confused.

It's unlikely anyone here has specific experience with my model of laptop, as it's a custom one, but just in case: it's a Compal QAQ12. other details are in my signature (I should probably update that to include the model, heh)

Comment

Looks like Insyde BIOS, which LOOKS like UEFI.
                      https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8
                      Service manual
                      https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

If so, you do need 64-bit then.

Comment

as I said previously, I know I have Insyde and I know I have 64-bit (it's ok though, I probably didn't make that clear enough).

Comment

And so, you gonna try it again .... ?

Comment

I'll have another go tomorrow - it's 1:30am here! thanks for your help.

Comment

OK

Comment

Working...
                              X