This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

research paper submitted electronically in .odt format

In an attempt to get me SOME KIND of money after I, and all other adjuncts last year lost a third of our income, the science department now has me also teaching a 1 hour section of chem lab.

It was really hard for me to relate to the students "personally" since I only saw them once a week and they were "doing stuff" so, "visiting" was tangential at best.

However, one of the students.........a perspicacious young lady, who had an "A" anyway, so this was not "playing up to the teacher", submitted her end of term research paper in .odt format electronically.

I was........well......blown away, and inquired why.

Ummm............ she had an "old laptop" and had heard about Linux, researched it, and did the Ubuntu .iso thing, did the live cd thing, installed it and kind of "plays with it".

When I do........" do ".... lectures they are all "presentation" based, I use Socratic Method in my physics classes ( not lectures) , but, in biology, and now in the Chem lab I have a lecture for "pH"...I always write on the last slide a very simple version of that the lectures are "copy left" and that they were produced using a "Linux operating system".

Well she noticed that when I showed the presentation on "pH" (emphasis on the negative logarithm of the Hydronium Ion concentration).

She uttered not a word, but thought to surprise me and did it with the very subtle submission in .odt.

HOWEVER............... I now I do most "reading of submissions" etc. on my Android and the FILE MANAGER said that it was a corrupted file, I so informed her, and she later gave me a printout.

BUT............doing a "last check" of everything, since it is the end of the semester, I noticed in the e-mail on the computer that it was......... .odt!

I e-mailed her and she and I had a nice laugh and she said that she did, indeed, want to surprise me and compliment me on running Linux and that she .........

Is going to convert to it.......

Poco a poco nos vamos a pequeña escala.

woodisluckytohavesuchperspicaciousstudentssmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    HOWEVER............... I now I do most "reading of submissions" etc. on my Android and the FILE MANAGER said that it was a corrupted file
    There are open document readers in Google Play. I've used "OpenDocument Reader" for a couple of years, but just now I see there's a LibreOffice one and Google docs (which supports the open formats).
    Regards, John Little

Comment

She could have also "saved as" in a MS Office compatible format before submitting. LibreOffice will do that.
      sigpic

Comment

Hi LoR.....and I know whereof you did that moniker!! lol

and thanks for the comment, but

Weell yes she could have.....the point being ... but she wanted to ... give me a surprise.....aaannnnddd ...the point being that she KNOWS what .odt is and she did it on a plain vanilla Ubu machine..

i know that the elites are of the knee jerk opinion that the mid-west U.S. is a wasteland.....or, conversely flyover country made of astroturf... but maybe they should cast a glance....on just how much "Linux" is being done in ............eeeccccchhh

Texas...

That the young lady had the time and inclination to go tho the trouble bodes well for "Linux in the wasteland".

woodjstathoughtoflittleworthsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; May 08, 2015, 10:00 PM.
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post

...I always write on the last slide a very simple version of that the lectures are "copy left" and that they were produced using a "Linux operating system".

Ah. I didn't catch that. She noticed.
          sigpic

Comment

WELLL considering the RAMBLING NATURE of my posts,,,,,...I am surprised that I ....noticed! lol
            woodhavingfunsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X