X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't boot from USB or DVD.

Hi all,
    I downloaded kubuntu-15.04-desktop-i386.iso file which is 1.3GB in size.
    I also checked SHA256SUM and it is correct.
    I used startup disk creator to create bootable usb but can't boot from it.
    Please,I need help.
    How can I create bootable usb or dvd from this downloaded iso file.
    Thank you all.

I've heard there MAY be occasional problems with the disk creators, I don't know.
    But here's a sure-fire way to build your USB bootable Kubuntu flash drive:

Building a Kubuntu live USB installer using dd
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...aller-using-dd

It uses the dd Linux command, which you issue from a terminal (Konsole in Kubuntu) -- You may not be comfortable doing this, though? You can cause a lot of damage to your system if you incorrectly specify the arguments to dd (in of=/dev/sdX ... you must get the "X" right).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

some more info is needed .
      do you know how to tell your computer to boot from the usb,,,,,,have you done it before?

if you do know how to boot your box to the usb ,,,,,,,,,,,what dose happen?

you say you have the "startup disk creator" so I will assume you have a *buntu install at present ,,,,,,,,,,,I recently had the same problem with the 15.04 .ISO and startup disk creator ,,,so I used "dd" to put the .iso on the stick ,,,,this worked

see @hear https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...aller-using-dd

be VARY careful you have the of= part correct as it will wipe whatever you point it at including your / partition if you make that mistake

VINNY

He He ,,,OK @Qmike snuck in their on me with the same info ,,,,,,,,,tehehe
      Last edited by vinnywright; May 07, 2015, 01:23 PM.
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for all helps indeed.

Sent from my HUAWEI G750-T20 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the issue I faced when try to boot from usb.
          I created with Startup Disk Creator on Linuxmint 17.
          Help me,guys.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by aungsau75 View Post
            This is the issue I faced when try to boot from usb.
            I created with Startup Disk Creator on Linuxmint 17.
            Since you're using a Linux operating system to create the USB, just use dd to copy the ISO to the USB drive. Those disk creators make changes to the ISO that often result in breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Since you're using a Linux operating system to create the USB, just use dd to copy the ISO to the USB drive. Those disk creators make changes to the ISO that often result in breakage.
              Thanks a lot.
              Though I am a bit affraid to use method which I have never used before.Need to learn further.
              But I also tried creating bootable usb on Windows7 which ended the same situation.
              More strange is that I can create Live usb of kubuntu 13.10 successfully the same method.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Hi all,
                I got another problem.
                I am trying to use ' dd ' command to create bootable usb.
                So,I put the iso file on desktop and open terminal there and typed this command.
                sudo dd if=/kubuntu-15.04-desktop-i386.iso/to/iso of=/dev/sdb bs=16M
                And I got this message " can't open kubuntu....iso or there is no such file or folder.
                What went wrong?
                Please.

Comment

I put the iso file on desktop...
                  Looks like you just need to change directory to your Desktop (where your iso is):

When you open a terminal (Konsole), you are probably in your home directory. Change directory to your Desktop:

cd Desktop <and press Enter>

Then issue your dd command, but you do not need the leading slash; all you need is the iso file:

sudo dd if=kubuntu-15.04-desktop-i386.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=16M

And, you are certain that the flash drive is seen as sdb, right?
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks a lot,Qqmike.
                    Really indeed.
                    I will try again and I believe the flash drive is correct as I checked in kde partition manager.

Comment

Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        Looks like you just need to change directory to your Desktop (where your iso is):

When you open a terminal (Konsole), you are probably in your home directory. Change directory to your Desktop:

Then issue your dd command, but you do not need the leading slash; all you need is the iso file:

Thanks a lot.
                        Really appreciate it.

Comment

Bingo!Qqmike,
                          I made it with your help finally.
                          Thanks a lot.
                          You are a truely live savior,An angle.
                          Hope to learn from you more.
                          And kubuntuforums.net is a truely blessing!

Comment

Sounds like it worked--it booted OK, did what you want it to do? If so, great!

The dd method is a good one. I see it around; but it kind of first appeared here with another member, SteveRiley (as I mentioned in my link).

Comment

Sounds like it worked--it booted OK, did what you want it to do? If so, great!

The dd method is a good one. I see it around; but it kind of first appeared here with another member, SteveRiley (as I mentioned in my link).
                              Yes,it works really well.
                              Yet so simple,yet so great.
                              Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X