Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally use the classic menu but added the Kickof you use and it is free of additional icons.

Comment

I logged out of KDE, deleted ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/*, then logged back in. Now, Places in Kickoff appears normal. Additionally, Places in Dolphin and Gwenview now also appear normal. So it seems we need only one file now: ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel.

What I suspect is supposed to happen is that ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml contains the system defaults, while user-places.xbel contains only those items added by users. But that probably won't work: strace for both Dolphin and Gwenview now show that neither program even looks for anything in the directory kfileplaces.

Comment

Plasma 5 is (still) not production ready

Like others have said, Plasma 5 is (still) not production ready. I upgraded from 14.10 a few weeks ago, and ended up wasting a lot of time trying to make it work/work around various issues before giving up and doing a clean reinstall of 14.10 (which is somewhat of a nightmare as I had a lot of non-repo software configured and installed (CUDA and deep-learning stuff, gah!).

Among the issues I found were (which have all had bug reports filed):
        • It crashed, a lot, requiring a hard reboot, particularly Dolphin, maybe every half hour on average.
        • No Quicklaunch widget!
        • Panels would not stay (auto-)hidden: when window focus changed the hidden panels would pop up and not hide again until a mouse-in/mouse-out event.
        • Opening remote text files (eg from Dolphin) would no longer open them in Kate. In the bug report I found that if I edited the launch command for the file association (removing the %U) it would open the text files but would not save them back to the remote location until Kate was closed, apparently due to some kio limitations. Being able to open remote files and click save in Kate is a beautiful thing in Plasma 4. I can't get my head around how this has become unsupported in a newer version of Plasma...
        • Only some kinds of system tray icons are supported, which doesn't include the type provided by Dropbox, so no Dropbox icon. I can't get my head around why this was considered a good idea either...

I don't understand why Kubuntu thought it was a good idea to make Plasma 5 the default version in a production/stable release of Kubuntu when it's clearly not production ready. Way to shoot yourself in the foot...

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver Coleman View Post
          Like others have said, Plasma 5 is (still) not production ready. I upgraded from 14.10 a few weeks ago, and ended up wasting a lot of time trying to make it work/work around various issues before giving up and doing a clean reinstall of 14.10 (which is somewhat of a nightmare as I had a lot of non-repo software configured and installed (CUDA and deep-learning stuff, gah!).

Among the issues I found were (which have all had bug reports filed):
          • It crashed, a lot, requiring a hard reboot, particularly Dolphin, maybe every half hour on average.
          • No Quicklaunch widget!
          • Panels would not stay (auto-)hidden: when window focus changed the hidden panels would pop up and not hide again until a mouse-in/mouse-out event.
          • Opening remote text files (eg from Dolphin) would no longer open them in Kate. In the bug report I found that if I edited the launch command for the file association (removing the %U) it would open the text files but would not save them back to the remote location until Kate was closed, apparently due to some kio limitations. Being able to open remote files and click save in Kate is a beautiful thing in Plasma 4. I can't get my head around how this has become unsupported in a newer version of Plasma...
          Have you upgraded to the latest Plasma etc from the kubuntu-backports ppa? I am wondering if that might help here.
          I have not seen many of the issues you have, other than the occasional non-hiding panel, which has disappeared since upgrading.
          Using Kate on remote files has not been an issue, and works as it always has.

• Only some kinds of system tray icons are supported, which doesn't include the type provided by Dropbox, so no Dropbox icon. I can't get my head around why this was considered a good idea either...
          That is somewhat backwards, as is it is more an issue of those proprietary programs that use an embedded Qt have this issue (dropbox, skype, viber). The reasons for the dropping of the deprecated xembed method for systray icons can be seen here (note that this was publishes in March 2014, and people have been reporting this problem to the respective programs well before Plasma 5 came out, and repeatedly since then.) Could they have implemented xembed? Possibly, though it may have been difficult. Should they have? I dunno.

I don't understand why Kubuntu thought it was a good idea to make Plasma 5 the default version in a production/stable release of Kubuntu when it's clearly not production ready. Way to shoot yourself in the foot...
          Well "production ready" means different things to different people, for sure. I think Steve said it rather well...

Comment

For Canonical it's a minor development release. Hopefully KDE will have all the bugs worked out of Plasma5 by the next LTS release, 16.05. I'll be upgrading to 15.10 ASAP for sure.

Comment

Working...
            X