X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't upgrade to 15.04 just yet, like I did

Hi all

I use KDE and then Kubuntu for about 6 years. KDE3 was a little clunky, but still better than GNOME for me, I've loved KDE4 and Plasma and today I've migrated to 15.04.

It seemed beautiful at start, but every minute it was getting worse. Good thing was that my Wallet and network WiFis worked out of the box, great, but then:

* I don't like Breeze's flat style - let's switch back to Oxygen. Nope - there is no Oxygen window decoration to choose from. Only Breeze and Plastik (Edit: it's included in Plasma 5.3 upgrade, not as perfect as original)
    * My fonts look not the same as before migration - anti aliasing settings are not imported, not any bit. If I set AntiAliasing to "Enabled" it switches back to Disabled s (Edit: it is fixed in 5.3)
    * Fire up Kate - it's like a fresh installation. None of my settings were imported. My keyboard scheme is gone.
    * Taskbar - I've used custom Smooth Tasks plasma widget - it's not ported Icon Only TaskBar is not enough for me (I hate grouping) (Edit: I use Icon Only Task Bar - grouping can be disabled per application)
    * Multiple monitors - my configuration was gone, none of settings were there. It seems KWin5 handles monitors worse that KWin4.
    * Login screen looks nice, but If you unplug monitor and open up a laptop at home without external 24' you're stuck with some 640x480 background and you can't see nothing
    * My global shourtcuts are all gone.

That's a first day list - I hate this upgrade. Almost nothing was migrated. It works like w fresh out-of-DVD installation. I've used KDE4 from beginning and it's gone. I am angry at myself that I didn't make a backup - I didn't expect that! . I am an IT professional for almost 10 years from now, I fix most of problems by myself but it's not a case with 15.04. It's not production ready.

I am very disappointed with this release and I don't encourage upgrade to anyone that uses KDE for professional every day work. It's a lot less quality that it used to be. Better wait a few months until 15.10 comes out. I'm stuck.
    Last edited by SpOOnman; May 06, 2015, 04:49 AM. Reason: Some edits after Plasma 5.3 update

Yeah Plasma 5 is far from being ready. Clean install is full of crashes/problems. I can imagine that upgrading from kde4 to brand new plasma5 built on new qt5 will bring a lot of problems, unfortunately

As for professional and everyday use, there is 14.04 LTS which it rock solid and supported 4 more years. And I love it
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

I am an IT professional for almost 10 years from now, I fix most of problems by myself but it's not a case with 15.04. It's not production ready.
      Good, lucky for your IT training -- I'm sure you kept a backup and/or dual-boot of your current production OS, and you're OK. You could also file some good (i.e., professional and accurate) bug reports to help get things cleaned up. Welcome to Kubuntu, btw.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Obviously the experience is different for a lot of people. I did a clean install on my Toshiba L750 with Nvidia and external monitor and couldn't be happier.
        I do get the odd crash with closing Konsole and System Settings and occasionally some graphical artefacts in the title bar, but apart from that, it all runs very smoothly.
        Decorations and icons are a matter of taste and there is tons of it available.
        The fonts render beautifully on my setup with the standard 96 DPI.
        I can imagine that upgrading from kde4 to brand new plasma5 built on new qt5 will bring a lot of problems, unfortunately
        But not anywhere near as much as going from KDE 3 to 4, although that would be a small consolation to a lot of people.
        It will take some time to get it all sorted, and if i had a high dependence for work on the OS, i would probably would have deferred the upgrade as wel
        sigpic

Comment

A hatch opened up and the aliens said, we're sorry to learn that you soon will be dead. But though you may find this slightly macabre, we prefer your extinction to the loss of our job.

Comment

I have minor niggles, but glad I upgraded.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
              I have minor niggles, but glad I upgraded.
              Same here. And this is my daily work machine. Possibly/maybe helps that my laptop was built for Linux.

Comment

I just did this KDE Applications 15.04 update.

KDE Applications 15.04 Is Now Available for Kubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) - Softpedia

A little better, but I'll stick with 14.10 as my production machine.

Comment

I confirm it's a bit better with Plasme 5.3 update.

Comment

New to Kubuntu here, but glad to say 15.04 is great, and the 5.3 update made it even better.
                    Nothing serious to complain about, and keeping it on dual boot with W7.

Comment

Yes there are stacks of issues, how hard they will hit you depends on what applications you are using.

For me it is especially the dead shortcuts /hotkeys, the fact Dolphin is still KDE4 and similar with Gwenview.
                      External monitors work but to use my nVidia card I had to go back from the proposed nVidia 346 driver to 304.

Like because the KIPI plugin's don't work I have to boot 14.10 just to send photo's.

And then many other uses are fine and I enjoy the looks of the new icons and theme.

Comment

Everybody just remember to file bug reports you have found to bugs.kde.org. Only that way bugs are going to be fixed and hopefully we will be happy with next LTS with plasma 5 (maybe even with kubuntu 15.10 release ).

I have already filed 10+ reports about plasma 5 bugs
                        Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

That's wonderful and I'm an idiot (because I destroyed my laptop). I had to clear room in my head but I could have done it another way (such as by taking the harddisk out). Now it's another 150 euro to get a new one. Ill chance that I can get it recovered, there is even a corner chipped from the thing. Still have my hdd and memory though. I am migrating to 15.04 myself but the biggest gripe I have left is the TASK BAR (ie. panel) that has TOO SMALL ICONS to differentiate one button from the next, ie. the window tiles on the task bar all LOOK ALIKE especially when they have the same directory open. Numerous windows with the same text and too small icons to be able to differentiate. I call that a usability problem.

Comment

It's a serious issue, I have to remember windows by position or use multiple desktops to arduously make sense of it all. I use "Glassified" theme but still not much better. Perhaps the Oxygen solution that was posted here somewhere provides a sense of relief.
                            Last edited by xennex81; May 07, 2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

The KDE window title standard sets "document - application" as the default for application windows as the title of the title bar, and this is just copied to the panel as the text for the window tiles. NOT workable especially without correctly sized icons for the applications in the window tiles. Am I the only one?

Comment

Working...
                              X