This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historic conciesness

How many people are still using floppy disks?

I ask it from people that are running what is arguably the most modern desktop available.
    Because those shiny new (monochrome) icons use a floppy as symbol for saving!

(Hmm, historic awareness might have been a better title)
    Last edited by Teunis; Apr 29, 2015, 11:47 AM.

That's ok, I use an old TV icon for my videos. Nostalgia can be fine in small doses.

Please Read Me

Comment

Whats funny though is that younger people have no idea what a floppy disc is. Im a teacher and I once asked my students if they knew what it was. They had no idea. Similar results with cassette tapes and video tapes. Icons are pointless if a large portion of the computer using population has no idea what the icon is.

Comment

I'm not so sure. Sometimes art surpasses the immediate perception, and icons are a modern form of graphic representation of a non-graphic concept. I.e. recording something is not a graphic concept, but the icon representing it, is. How boring life would be if everything had to be literal and specific. Symbolism, iconography, impressionism, cubism - all ways to represent something real in a non-realistic way. I suspect (hope, really) that a floppy disc icon might cause one of your students to question their reality enough to examine the source of the image, and thus mind expansion and learning may happen! Exciting, right? Otherwise, why have icons or art at all? Why not exchange the out-dating images for black and white plan text explaining the factual function of the click - BORING...

Please Read Me

Comment

I've installed 3.5" floppy drives on all the computers I've built, thinking, why not, they're inexpensive and you can boot from them.

Post-Windows XP, where they came in handy to install mobo drivers during the install process, and since the Linux kernel grew too big to fit on a floppy, I haven't used them.

Comment

Still using floppy's for professional use, when operating a Avolites pearl2000 Rolacue light-controller and preparing the show for it on a computer.

Comment

I'm well aware that floppies are not mainstream components any longer. However, if you are into DIY PC building, it is not at all uncommon or shocking to see people including a floppy drive in their PC configurations. I mean, even now, already, some people are dismayed to see you including a DVD writer in a new PC configuration.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I think it is helpful if a floppy icon is still around because without it what other icon to use then?

Comment

I mean you could use "SD card" but what of it? Media ( -real media- ) are beautiful because you can give them to people and you can hand them over and you can't do that with just digital files because we have physical bodies and we are not just digital.
                  Last edited by xennex81; Apr 30, 2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

@xennex81, you hit the nail on the head, what else to use?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      @xennex81, you hit the nail on the head, what else to use?
                      USB-stick? SD-card?

Comment

Brain?

Comment

I think it's the same with phones..,people still "dial" a phone number even though they have long since stopped dialing (it made it into idiom and that's what they're left with). In Dutch it is said to "draai" (turn) a number.

Idiom is important because it is closer to the primaries of when technology was still understandable.
                          Last edited by xennex81; May 06, 2015, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                            brain?
                            lol

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                              Brain?
                              You know, remember stuff.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X