X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember everything and be wise!

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      @xennex81, you hit the nail on the head, what else to use?
      Save:

Open:

Comment

During the Win3.0 years we had a developer who used this icon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Knipsel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	642855

I know Steve likes his (Amazon) cloud but I'm probably old fashioned and prefer to use my own storage.
        At the moment it is a 1 TB disk connected to the modem at home that also doubles as my VPN server.
        So for me it would sooner be an arrow pointing to my home (basement).

Comment

I would never want cloud the way it is now but the idea of being resilient against failure (in your personal life) is a pretty ..catch-all reason for choosing it.

Comment

Not all clouds are alike. There are reasons why I prefer AWS over the others. And not just because I've worked there.

Comment

But AWS is more of an application-level cloud right? Not for personal use (or the average joe?).?

Comment

It began as a full IaaS (infrastructure as a service) cloud with compute, database, storage, load balancing, and messaging/interprocess communications capabilities. Over time, application level capabilities have been added. AWS is suitable for nearly every conceivable workload, from those of individual users to very large corporations. You pay for only what you use, nothing more.

Comment

That sounds like a sales pitch but it requires a lot of knowhow (I had a look, ikes!). Not for me, for a very long time. I need to build more building blocks in my awareness before I can work with that. Sowwy! ;-).

(Seriously, I want to get experience with a Debian server/vps and FreeBSD before I'll move to that or anything of the kind. Small building steps for me instead of large collections of components and the like.)
                  Last edited by xennex81; May 09, 2015, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Well, I did work there, so it's only natural that some of the vernacular would embed itself, heh. However, much of the same terminology could be used to describe most of the major cloud providers.

The NIST definition (Google for it) of cloud computing is completely correct. Any service that's missing even one attribute can't properly be called "cloud." Of course, that doesn't stop the marketers. There's way too much cloudwashing, alas.

Comment

I don't think cloudwashing is something you need to worry about they are rainy things ;-).

I don't see what's so special about the NIST definition either but I guess it goes to show that it's a model that works. I just think the dependency issue of cloud is not resolved, in the end you are always dependent on an external party that might nullify your contract e.g. when you break the law that might happen for whatever reason (depending on laws and practices). You only have to be termed a terrorist and you can see your resources be gone. I don't think the "law" is a pretty safe thing. You might say, there's nothing else.., buuut I have had my computer resources stolen by that law and it had nothing to do with computers. They just took 260+80+90+60+220+20+30 = 760 euro worth of gear from my home and almost destroyed a motherboard, and only returned a phone and a portable DVD player (that they later took again). They just habitually confiscate everything that's electronic. You are arrested for attempted homicide (seriously) and they confiscate your (empty) DVD-burner that's in the bag.

That might be reason all the more to go with cloud but that's just because I am safe from THOSE kinds of interference thus far. They are not interested in what else I do online. It's just regular police business to confiscate everything.
                      Last edited by xennex81; May 10, 2015, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
                        I don't see what's so special about the NIST definition either but I guess it goes to show that it's a model that works.
                        For those of us who work in this industry, the definition is important. It helps us ensure that we're building the services IT buyers expect. It helps buyers understand what's truly cloudy vs. products that just pretend to be.

nullify your contract e.g. when you break the law that might happen for whatever reason (depending on laws and practices).
                        Actually, there's no nullification. The service agreements include clauses that permit law enforcement to do their thing.

That might be reason all the more to go with cloud but that's just because I am safe from THOSE kinds of interference thus far. They are not interested in what else I do online. It's just regular police business to confiscate everything.
                        One possible approach: encrypt your stuff when you store it in AWS. Store the actual key somewhere else. Then programmatically retrieve the key whenever you need it. If AWS gets served a national security letter for your stuff, the only thing they'll have access to is encrypted goo.

Comment

One possible approach: encrypt your stuff when you store it in AWS. Store the actual key somewhere else. Then programmatically retrieve the key whenever you need it. If AWS gets served a national security letter for your stuff, the only thing they'll have access to is encrypted goo.
                          I want to follow this approach even with my own servers. Ie. I wanted to make a website that stored encrypted contents and the actual API that retrieves the content results from a key being fetched from trusted servers based on a user login, ie. the login is key to the key being used to decrypt the actual contents by the website itself, so only the key-backend really has to be trusted.

I find myself wanting to depend more on online services while at the same time wanting to expand local storage. One day I'll (hopefully) be an advocate for integration between the two. (I was more confident in the past as to my success in the professional realm, I have been hurt a lot). You can also call that modesty.

One component of my view is that safety or security depends not on physical location but on platform (availability of software and services) and that physical location completes the picture. It would be nice to see someone moving remote services to local and back without as much as a hickup (ie. movable websites). The local computer as a website platform, that sorta thing.

Comment

I can say my biggest interest in life (apart from girls) is definitely software development.

The funny thing is that I consider safety (or, "safety") only in terms of the software to exist. Storing the software in open platforms is therefore key to safety for what is held by the public cannot be taken from the individual.
                            Last edited by xennex81; May 11, 2015, 07:10 AM.

Comment

It would be nice to see someone moving remote services to local and back without as much as a hickup (ie. movable websites). The local computer as a website platform, that sorta thing.
                              Of all the major cloud providers, the easiest one to do this kind of operation on is Microsoft Azure. Many Windows-based workloads running on-premises in Hyper-V virtualized environments can be migrated to Azure with little to no modification.

Comment

I was hoping for something easier lol. Something available to an ordinary user. Not something application-scale or enterprise-scale. Not something out of reach of anyone except the most ardent followers of fashion. Something simple and available.

Comment

Working...
                                X