Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could someone guide me through making a bootable USB flash drive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could someone guide me through making a bootable USB flash drive?

I've decided I want to try 15.04 on a USB drive before upgrading.

I have a 16gb USB stick (yes, I know it's tiny!) which I've partitioned with GParted, but I'm not sure how to go about actually installing the disk image on it. I know "startup disk creator" is meant to be able to do this for you, but no matter how many times I reformat the drive it won't enable the "make startup disk" button.

so I'm going to have to create it manually (which I'd rather do anyway, for the learning experience and because someone on here recommended it).

I've googled how to do this and the only answers I could find that don't involve Startup Disk Creator seem extremely complicated and likely to go wrong if I don't have expert guidance. If someone has already asked about manually creating a bootable USB on here, then feel free to link to the post...otherwise, I'd really really appreciate step-by-step instructions so I don't mess anything up.

btw I'm not really sure which forum to post this in, sorry :S
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

I won't be too helpful without researching this, as I haven't built a permanent Kubuntu USB installation manually since GRUB Legacy. That said, one way to get this done is to simply run your Kubuntu installer live DVD/USB, select Install Kubuntu, select the Manual method, and direct the installation to your flash drive, /dev/sdX. I.e., the Kubuntu installer will treat your flash drive and install Kubuntu to it just as it would to a HDD. You have already set up (as ext 4) your root / and /home on the flash drive and swap, so the Kubuntu installer will see those partitions and use them as you direct it to do so.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

PS, logistically, of course, you must plug in your (target) flash drive to a USB port, then plug in your Kubuntu installer (either load it to the DVD drive as a disk or to another USB port if your Kubuntu installer is a flash drive also). When you re-boot, you must direct BIOS to boot to the live DVD Kubuntu installer or to the live Kubuntu USB; but your BIOS should also see your target flash drive just as it would see any HDD or SSD that's plugged in.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

What method you use depends on your goals.

This should cover it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Please Read Me

Comment

PPS, if you do use the method I outlined, don't forget to install GRUB to the flash drive /dev/sdX, not to any of your other drives. But you might check the ubuntu link given above to see what your options are for this project.

Comment

I took an older 8gb thumb drive, put grub on it, copied various ISOs to it, manually edited grub.cfg, and can boot to 4 different ISOs from that one drive.

This is too much work if you'e just looking to do a one-time install. I just use Unetbootin and be done with it.

Also: I believe the current crop of *buntu ISOs are "hybrid" types - meaning a straight dd copy to any device will allow it to boot. This is the simplest and quickest method to an install,

Please Read Me

Comment

ok, I think I just messed something up while manually partitioning the USB stick cause I'm trying another one now and the startup disk creator doesn't have a problem with it. will try booting from it and see how it goes...
              "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Working...
              X