This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin - Rootactions

I used to use Root Actions Servicemenu in 13.10/14.05/14.10 - but now (fresh install 15.04), I can't seem to get it to work. I'm pretty sure I'm using 2.8.5. What I get on Dolphin when I right click-->Root Actions-->Open terminal here is: Could not find the program 'rootactions-servicemenu.pl'

I get a feeling it's there, maybe a path issue, not sure. Any assistance?

Click image for larger version

Name:	root_pl.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	648972
    No Bling

Can you post the output of the commands:

locate rootactions-servicemenu.pl

which rootactions-servicemenu.pl

Also, if this is a fresh install with a preserved /home, the .desktop files for the servicemenu can still be there under /home, but the executable installed in $PATH is not. In this case reinstalling the menu should solve the problem. EDIT: actually, reinstalling the menu might not solve the issue (haven't checked how the install script runs/works on Plasma5)...manually moving 'rootactions-servicemenu.pl' to your $PATH directory should fix it (for example, move to /usr/bin/rootactions-servicemenu.pl)
    Last edited by kubicle; Apr 29, 2015, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Code:
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]~$ locate rootactions-servicemenu.pl [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=monospace]/home/[I]user[/I]/.kde/share/apps/servicemenu-download/48411-rootactions_servicemenu_2.7.3.tar.gz-dir/rootactions_
      servicemenu_2.7.3/Root_Actions_2.7.3/rootactions-servicemenu.pl
      ~$ which rootactions-servicemenu.pl
      [/FONT][FONT=monospace]~$[/FONT]
      Well, now at least I know that I'm probably running 2.7.3...jeez, that's a huge path. I'm going to have to open up the tarball and see what it's actually doing. Thank you for your quick reply.
      No Bling

Comment

Originally posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
        Well, now at least I know that I'm probably running 2.7.3...jeez, that's a huge path. I'm going to have to open up the tarball and see what it's actually doing. Thank you for your quick reply.
        Why do all that? Try copying rootactions-servicemenu.pl to your path. /usr/local/bin usually works.

To see your path, type echo $PATH in a terminal.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Why do all that? Try copying rootactions-servicemenu.pl to your path. /usr/local/bin usually works.

To see your path, type echo $PATH in a terminal.
          yup,,,,,that fixes it @hear

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

it dose make it work ,,,,,,,,some what , open as text will not .

if you say ,,,go to /etc and try to use it to open fstab you will get a password prompt but then nothing happens ,,,,,,I am guessing maby because kate is now a plasma5 app but dolphin is not ,,,,so dolphin it's self works with it but kate dose not.

if however you go to /etc and select "open file manager hear" you will get a root dolphin and then "open as text" will get you the root kate.

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

choosing the "open with" from the root actions dose not produce anything as well.

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

There seems to be something fishy going on with knewstuff downloads (at least on kf5/plasma5), when you install the menu from dolphin's download new services, it insists on downloading an old 2.7.3 version. So I'd recommend downloading and installing 2.8.5 manually for now (until I get a grip of what the hell is going on with knewstuff).

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                choosing the "open with" from the root actions dose not produce anything as well.
                Do you have kdialog installed (package "kde-baseapps-bin")...what's the output of which kdialog?

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                  There seems to be something fishy going on with knewstuff downloads (at least on kf5/plasma5), when you install the menu from dolphin's download new services, it insists on downloading an old 2.7.3 version. So I'd recommend downloading and installing 2.8.5 manually for now (until I get a grip of what the hell is going on with knewstuff).

Do you have kdialog installed (package "kde-baseapps-bin")...what's the output of which kdialog?
                  no ,,,,no it is not installed .

will install it and try again

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    no ,,,,no it is not installed .

will install it and try again

VINNY
                    OK ,,,,,so adding the kde-baseapps-bin got a dialogue to open on choosing the "open with" option,,,,,,,typing in "kate" got a password dialogue ,,,,,,,but no kate.

downloading the 48411-rootactions_servicemenu_2.8.5.tar.gz ,,,extracting the rootactions-servicemenu.pl and overwriting the one in /usr/local/bin/ with it seems to have fixed everything .

wee it all works once again

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

still doens't work here. installed the 2.8.5 version. copied it /usr/local/bin. but when i try some of the root actions nothing happens. i dont get the missing rootaction servicemenu anymore though.

EDIT: does work. forgot to install kdialog. Thanks!
                      Last edited by linuxmonkey; May 24, 2015, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks Kubicle.
                        For the plug in and the fix!

Comment

Still a problem, so I made a link from what locate found to /user/local/bin and it works again.

Comment

I'm having a new rootactions problem. I noticed "Open as text" didn't work any longer so I ran the script manually to see any error messages and it just says "died at line 912"

Am I missing a dependency?

EDIT: Disregard. I needed the newer version. All good now. Thanks Kubicle for a great product.
                            Last edited by oshunluvr; Aug 19, 2015, 06:54 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                            X