• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
    alright this is what I got:
    Code:
    Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller 
               X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
    I'm not sure what any of that means (i.e. whether it's "right" or not).
    Many users experience problems unless they use the open source drivers (X.Org X Server display driver wrapper). Type Driver Manager from kickstart to open the Driver Manager and see. On hybrid laptops this will usually result in the AMD GPU not being used, but in the system being stable (using the integrated intel graphics). Further, I do know that the Nvidia closed source driver options have better success, but I believe you should use the Recommended option in the Kubuntu Driver Manager.

Just my two cents.

Comment

absolutely nothing shows up in the driver manager:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	driver management.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	642850

it says "collecting information about your system" and then just displays nothing. (I'm guessing it failed to collect any information!)
      is there a way I can manually select to use the open source driver?
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

absolutely nothing shows up in the driver manager:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]6008[/ATTACH]

it says "collecting information about your system" and then just displays nothing. (I'm guessing it failed to collect any information!)
        is there a way I can manually select to use the open source driver?
        It usually takes a while ... did you give it 5-10 minutes?

Comment

1 CPU core at 100% and little wheel spinning for 10 seconds, with that "collecting information" notice, then the notice went away and there was just nothing.
          "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

1 CPU core at 100% and little wheel spinning for 10 seconds, with that "collecting information" notice, then the notice went away and there was just nothing.
            That is odd indeed; presuming that situation persisted regardless of time given I believe you have a potential bug that could be reported to kubuntu or bugs.kde.org as that does not match the expected behaviour of the Driver Manager. There are definitely good questions and answers that I remember using on askubuntu or stackoverflow dealing with how to determine what driver is being applied using the command prompt; regretfully my memory is too poor to answer in that regard directly - I apologise for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubuntu1404_Singapore View Post
              That is odd indeed; presuming that situation persisted regardless of time given I believe you have a potential bug that could be reported to kubuntu or bugs.kde.org as that does not match the expected behaviour of the Driver Manager. There are definitely good questions and answers that I remember using on askubuntu or stackoverflow dealing with how to determine what driver is being applied using the command prompt; regretfully my memory is too poor to answer in that regard directly - I apologise for that.
              And for what its worth it DOES look like you are using the X.org driver based on what you posted at the top of this page ... thus it is doubtful that is the problem. However, these are notoriously finicky and some searching about X window rendering errors pertaining to your specific chipset may prove very fruitful for you....

Comment

I found instructions for checking the graphics driver via the terminal, here.
                The output I got was:
                Code:
                 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
                	Subsystem: COMPAL Electronics Inc Device 006b
                	Kernel driver in use: i915
                That "i915" bit seems to be the Intel graphics driver. Not X.org! But I don't know anything about these things. Anyway, I assume the Intel driver is the right one to be using...

Comment

The output I got was:
                  Code:
                   VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
                  That "i915" bit seems to be the Intel graphics driver. Not X.org! But I don't know anything about these things. Anyway, I assume the Intel driver is the right one to be using...
                  Oops - I was reading the other poster's screenshot. You may find this X.org site of use: http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver/

If you can get the Driver Manager working first, I would do that and try to switch to X.org still. The relevant package is "kubuntu-driver-manager"

It appears available here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...driver-manager so if its in your repository (which it should be by default) you could attempt to re-install it. I could not find through google a 1:1 correlation with your situation (that kubuntu-driver-manager provides nil return and blank screen) unfortunately, but I only did a cursory check. If you are intent on solving, I am sure its fix-able, as the driver-manager is used for many users successfully....

All the best

Comment

The output I got was:
                    Code:

you have the corect driver for your graphics card ,,,,,,the "driver manager" is not showing anything because their is nothing to show you .
                    intel is very forthcoming with their diver info for linux and supported out the box .

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Code:
                      the "driver manager" is not showing anything because their is nothing to show you
                      this is what I thought, thanks for confirming

Comment

Working...
                      X