This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting their......../

SO I made a ,,,,,,,? ,,,,,your to tired to be typing on the command line ,, mistake last night and rmed my ~/ the hole home directory one little space wile trying to "rm -rf ~/.cache" but did "rm -rf ~/ .cache" ,,,,,and poof gone .
    luckily all (well almost) my data is on a different drive with Documents,Downloads,Music,ect,ect liknked back to the /home/vinny so all my installs can use them.

I'm in the process of reinstalling all my apps after doing a complete reinstall of the OS ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which was an adventure in it's self as the installer would hang at 33% trying to format the partition ,,,,,,,finally I just did a "mkfs" on it and let the installer role out without formatting the drive ,,,,,,, this worked .

this evening after work I started setting it up like I like ,,,,,,,,,,,,so far ,,,,so good

looking good ,,,,,,,,,I think

O and of course ........the cube

☢VINNY☢
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Wow, that's all it took ... just a space in the wrong place!

The terminal is great and powerful but it can be very unforgiving at times. Is there no way in Linux to undelete stuff? If you could have booted up a live CD and tried to resurrect your home directory ... would that have been possible? I used to use undelete tools in Windows quite often, not always very successfully mind you.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

-i

Oh, regrets!
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
        Wow, that's all it took ... just a space in the wrong place!

The terminal is great and powerful but it can be very unforgiving at times. Is there no way in Linux to undelete stuff? If you could have booted up a live CD and tried to resurrect your home directory ... would that have been possible? I used to use undelete tools in Windows quite often, not always very successfully mind you.
        yup thats all it took ,,,,,,,,,,,but it was not so bad ,,,,,as I sead all but a few things (of my data)are actually on a different drive so I did not loose that ,,,,and the system made a new /home/vinny when I rebooted .

but sence I was going to half to re-customize it and their were a few quirks from it beeing a 14.10 upgraded to 15.04 ,,,,,,,,I just reinstalled

still have window borders showing when shade/unshade ing them ,,,,,,,,,,,some times firefox will go black screen when going full screen but minimizing and restoring brings it back,,,,,,,,,,,, Audacity's "devices panel" barly displays the icons (kinda cut in half),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all vary minor stuff , the system it's self is doing real nice ,,vary responsive .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm currently going the path of on-line upgrading 14.04 to 14.10. Just finished all looks and functions OK. I'll test a little longer before traipsing into 15.04 by on-line upgrade. Maybe in a couple of days.

Comment

Aw scary!
            Good you still have your stuff.
            Same here, most of the goodies are on a disk in a caddy and I keep several backups at home, in my computer bag and 600 kms away

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              yup thats all it took ,,,,,,,,,,,but it was not so bad ,,,,,as I sead all but a few things (of my data)are actually on a different drive so I did not loose that ,,,,and the system made a new /home/vinny when I rebooted .
              VINNY
              Yes, I think that is the best way to set up a system in Kubuntu too. I have all my main data directories on a separate hard drive symlinked to my home directory which is on the system SSD. Best of both worlds really, home is fast and responsive on the SSD but the bulky data is on the huge hard drive. I decided to set up my new system this way after doing some research on this forum and it works very well.
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Wow!! OK, if I didn't know some of the process to do in a failed upgrade, the process of doing an on-line upgrade from 14.10 is really not the best choice. Just FYI and sorry to hijack this thread. I did get it though but still. Wow!!

Comment

Working...
                X