X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Some 15.04 annoyances...

Loving Plasma 5, but got a few annoyances I would dearly like to sort out:

1. Kate keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C etc) not working. I get a message that 'the sequence is ambiguous" and am asked to resolve this in the settings/keyboard shortcuts panel. Even thought the shortcuts are clearly set to 'default' and the only ones, this continues. These shortcuts work in other apps like LibreOffice with no problems.

2. Conky that ran flawlessly in 14.10 randomly disappears sometimes when applications are launched or notifications appear. The lua clock will also randomly run about 30 seconds fast compared to the system tray clock indicator. Have tried messing with .conkyrc but can't find out what is wrong - possibly a compositing problem?

3. Anyone know a good and simple backup program that runs like kup on 15.04? kup crashes the system when I try to use it.

4. Booting and re-login take a long time > 60 seconds sometimes.

5. Changing application icons from 'edit applications' on the launcher does not allow user to browse to specific locations. Browse button is there, but nothing happens when you click it. Have lightscribe application and would like to use my lightscribe icon, but I can't access it.

6. Had to install samba manually because clicking on install samba when selecting sharing from folder results in error message regarding kpackagekit not being installed.

7. Adding an entry to fstab to automount a second HDD can sometimes result in 'black screen of death' which could only be resolved by 'rm -rf .cache' and rebooting.

Otherwise all good! Congratulations to the team. Look and feel of the desktop is amazing.

For a good simple Backup program I use LuckyBackup. It is a gui app and includes incremental backups that are a must in my opinion. Also you can dive into the settings for more complex options if required.

Not sure why your login is taking so fast; mine is really quick. A bit more info on your setup would be useful... ie are you on a network... With the second hard-drive I usually setup my mounts during install. You will need to post you etc/fstab for us to trouble shoot that. Thinking about it is this a fresh install or and upgrade? I only ask as I'm not sure how well the upgrade handles the change to systemd. This might be part of the issue. But I'm fairly new to Kubuntu, although not Linux, and there are probably others that can provide an insight into this.

Comment

Yes, there are quite a few annoyances, I agree. Also, a lot of missing items not ported over to Plasma5 yet. Had to stop Conky for now because of that disappearing/reappearing act. Miss YAWP and LUNA.

Comment

2. Conky that ran flawlessly in 14.10 randomly disappears sometimes when applications are launched or notifications appear. The lua clock will also randomly run about 30 seconds fast compared to the system tray clock indicator. Have tried messing with .conkyrc but can't find out what is wrong - possibly a compositing problem?
        try changing your opengl render type in system settings -> display -> compositor (you may need to re log in for it to change) . i had a similar issue w/ one of my computers when using opengl3.1 mode. switching to opengl 2 fixed the issue for me
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by timgood View Post
          Loving Plasma 5, but got a few annoyances I would dearly like to sort out:

Edit your conkyrc and add or change 'own_window_type' to either dock or panel. I use 'own_window_type panel'. As for backup, I use a dd script set to a systemd service and timer. Also, I load my ~/.cache to tmpfs, so it gets cleared at every reboot. Doing so will also allocate about half of your ram, so it can get unwieldy if you don't reboot every few days.
          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Either of those settings causes bad effects with the layout I have. I'd change the GL version but I'm already using v2.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but I've had some plasma 5 crashes or unusual behaviours, black screens, not to mention other bugs. I did however find that when Plasma is misbehaving or crashed, I have found this usually works at restarting Plasma for me: alt-F2 and enter: kquitapp plasmashell && plasmashell

Comment

Plasma5 is most definitely not ready for widespread use.

I especially loath the difficulties in setting up hot keys, both global and application level.

Then the problems with Dolphin still being Plasma4, it's unacceptable.
                Another one I ran into is the KIPI plugins don't work for GwenView.

A PITA that 14.10 won't be supported for much longer.

Comment

What problems are you having with dolphin under plasma 5?

edit: I ask because my daughters laptop is running Kubuntu 15.04/Plasma 5 and she hasn't complained to me about anything yet.
                  Last edited by Buddlespit; May 04, 2015, 06:01 AM. Reason: clarification
                  I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

That black screen of death needs to be fixed lol.

I wish they just went back to ****ing LightDM.

Comment

I haven't experienced any crashes at all. I tried the alpha and that was buggy but out of the plasma 5 distros I have tried Kubuntu is the most stable and usable. This is a big change for KDE and I think they (the devs) are definitely on the right track. With time bugs will be sorted and more will be ported over. I guess the question is was it the right time to move over to plasma 5?? I guess from reading many posts here the answer may be that it was a little premature for most. Mind at least there is LTS so maybe that is why the decision was made to do it. Also Kubuntu is the 'official' distro for plasma 5 and the only way to find and squash bugs is to get more to try it....

From my personal view point I really like it. The desktop looks clean and fresh and the philosophy behind this new generation of KDE, again in my opinion, is sound.

Comment

I like it, don't get me wrong. I can see how improved it is, when it doesn't crash. It does seem fresh and faster. There are just those annoyances. I hope YAWP and LUNA get ported soon. CONKY, I can live without for now.

Comment

Here I was seriously thinking those were all productivity applications and they are just plasmoids or environment monitors? Jeez.

Comment

Yep... annoyances. I didn't say show stoppers!

Comment

Still, it can be annoying ;-). To get a half finished product ;-).

Comment

Working...
                              X