This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    ........ Then I tried 3.1 and EGL, and the compositor is now very stable. IIRC, GLX has been on the path to deprecation for some time now.

Just tried that for the last 10 minutes. At least with Conky it still disappears and reappears. Set it back to what I had just because I really have no issues other than Conky doing that.

Comment

Interesting: On my system (15.04, updated, nVidia-346-updates, EVGA GTX 780) I get this warning "EGL is not supported by all OpenGL drivers. If not supported the Compositor will be disabled." when I attempt to select EGL, and indeed if selected - I lose desktop effects.

EDIT: EGL is not supported by nVidia's implementation of OpenGL.
      Last edited by oshunluvr; May 08, 2015, 06:43 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Interesting: On my system (15.04, updated, nVidia-346-updates, EVGA GTX 780) I get this warning "EGL is not supported by all OpenGL drivers. If not supported the Compositor will be disabled." when I attempt to select EGL, and indeed if selected - I lose desktop effects.

Yes, I'm also using Nvidia.

Comment

Probably not surprising, same experience with an Nvidia card using the Nouveau driver.

Comment

I've done a bit more reading and it seems EGL is supported, but not within X11. Wayland or Mir it works. It's kinda a complicated issue and I'm not taking the time to dig deeper. GLX w/OpenGL 3.1 works fine here.

Please Read Me

Comment

Some 15.04 annoyances...

I have the same issue with Conky disappearing on my 15.04 VirtualBox guest. There are minimal if any desktop effects enabled, and the compositor is enabled.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally, kdesu was the thing to use, but by 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon kdesudo (created by Kubuntu) was introduced to better handle things.

Comment

I've done a bit more reading and it seems EGL is supported, but not within X11. Wayland or Mir it works. It's kinda a complicated issue and I'm not taking the time to dig deeper. GLX w/OpenGL 3.1 works fine here.
                  With Intel graphics (HD 5500), OpenGL 3.1 with EGL is working fine -- effects are rendering as expected.

Comment

For all to know with Conky I seemed to have fixed it. I changed own_window_type from normal to override. So far so good and not odd issues from that!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                      For all to know with Conky I seemed to have fixed it. I changed own_window_type from normal to override. So far so good and not odd issues from that!
                      This makes conky appear on top of all windows. If you are using something like an image manipulation or editing program, everything underneath the conky will not be usable. So no good for anyone running windows full screen or multiple windows on one desktop. Still looking!

Comment

Hmmm....That's not how that is acting here. It's on all desktops but subsequent window, i.e. Dolphin, GIMP, etc. all are on top of it. No interference from it.

EDIT: here is all that is said from the Conky site:

Override windows are not under the control of the window manager

Comment

It seems you are correct! Will give this a try. At first glance, it does seem to be working. Strange, when I tried this setting before, it remained on top of all windows. Thanks for this.

Comment

Well, I played around some more and found what it does do that would interfere with the Wallpaper. I didn't notice because of how I have my wallpaper currently to keep the background behind Conky Dark. With Override Conky appears to not allow Transparency. So, if your wallpaper covers the entire desktop, Conky will have a black background that covers the portion of wallpaper it resides. No biggie at the moment for me due to current wallpaper, but.... well enough said. For now I'm OK and not annoyed with the disappearing/reappearing act.

Comment

Funny, I have full transparency and no disappearing. My window settings within conky are:

Code:
                              [FONT=Ubuntu Mono]# Window specifications #[/FONT]
                              own_window_class Conky
                              own_window yes
                              own_window_type conky
                              own_window_type override
                              own_window_transparent yes
                              own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
                              own_window_argb_visual yes
                              No black background on any wallpaper.

Comment

I'll try what you have. Let you know.

EDIT: That didn't work but I also noticed you have own_window_type twice so one is taking precedence, maybe? Either way I'm fine with my current set-up so no harm no foul.
                                Last edited by MoonRise; May 09, 2015, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X