This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that bad after all

Last night I installed the beta2 over 14.04 and the result was horrible.
    Very slow and very difficult to adjust.

Tonight I removed most of the hidden stuff from the /home partition and tried again with the fresh release.
    A much better experience!

The desktop feels smooth and agile.

Most things work but there are also missing bits like my favourite Quick Access and CWP widgets.
    The Folder widget is a waste of time, it only shows a bunch of big icons, no chance to navigate.

I noticed it's impossible to remove or even move widgets from the panel but luckily there is the option to start with a new and empty panel that can then be populated with whatever and in the order I want.

I too miss Quick Access.

I can move and remove widgets in the panel. You can't after hitting the - what do we call it now, a hamburger cashew? - settings icon on the far right?

Comment

You should be able to move, add, delete panel widgets.

I can do screenies with only 2 fingers
      Last edited by claydoh; Apr 24, 2015, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the idiot proof instructions!

I had to watch 3x nefore I could repeat them but it's now working for me.

Next problem is the lost ability to edit hotkeys or global shortcuts, they invariably result in a crash of System Settings or KMenuEdit.

Comment

I reinstalled 15.04 final on desktop and laptop. I solved my earlier problem with the icons by switching them to Oxygen. However for some reason I'm getting wifi problems on desktop and Laptop. Also when I add new places in Dolphin they don't seem to persist.

Although I greatly appreciate the people working and testing plasma 5 to get it up to scratch, I think I'm going to wipe Vivid from my multi-boots and go back to Opensuse 13.2 for my default work distro. Its lightening fast boot up, which I like, both compared to Tumbleweed and all the Kubuntu versions. I also find the partitioning and usb image burning tools work better for me. For other people I'm going to install Kubuntu 14.04, I like the fact that videos work out of the box, which is an overriding concern for your casual user, who may have just come from windows. With SUSE the codec dependencies easily get into a mess. I'll use Kubuntu 14.04 myself if I want to use steam or Wine. As for Plasma 5, I think I'll wait till Arch makes it the default to play around with it.

Edit: Ah my bad, it seems the problem with adding places in Dolphin is a Dolphin bug and not related to plasma 5.
          Last edited by Rich Oliver; Apr 25, 2015, 04:53 AM.

Comment

More problems, shutdown takes ages, like for at least a minute nothing seems to happen.
            I'll have to look in the logs or maybe do a more verbose shutdown from a terminal.

The gobal shortcuts are a real mess, seems there are up to three applications doing their own thing, System Settings, KMenuEdit and khotkeys.
            Deleting hotkeys and trying to re-add them in one of those will invariably result in a message the keys are already set up in khotkeys.
            The problem is I can't find an application khotkeys but then maybe something like System Settings is it's front end?
            Also, the respective editors behave glacial, pressing Apply results in several minutes of lock up and often System Settings will crash.

As Rich Oliver reports Dolphin can not remember places like my webdisk, good is that I can finally access this webdavs thing, it never worked in 14.04 and 14.10.

Another Dolphin problem (for me) is that the root actions will result in -can't find 'rootactions-servicemenu.pl'-.
            I've been trying previous remedies without success.

Oh yes, and then my dearest program, Gwenview, going full screen and back results in temporary lock ups.
            Last edited by Teunis; Apr 25, 2015, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Solved!!!

I reinstalled and finally all is well.
              I started, like the 1st time, with cleaning up the /home partition.
              And when I tried to boot my USB flash drive it crapped out with a checksum error warning...

So I made a new one, did the SHA check and started at 00.04, all was done at 01:02, that's including a long list of applications

The first drive was made with the same iso and I also checked it but apparently it broke during the install...

Comment

Working...
              X