This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No greeter, can't login after last update

On both my 14.10 and 14.04 systems, the boot process starts, hits a ttyl screen for a second, then goes to a black screen where I can't even access a virtual terminal. This happened after the last update, as of 21 April. (I guess it was on 19 or 20 april or something--I noticed the Startup disk creator was updated.)

Anyone else getting this? I also have oibaff ppa enabled but I don't think that's the issue. I could purge it to see, if no one else is having this problem.

No clue about whatever the oibaff ppa is, or what it contains......

Comment

I would try using ppa-purge on the oibaff ppa ,,,,it is after all "graphics drivers" and that seems to be a likely cause for a black screen .

what kind of graphics hardware do you have (intel,amd,nvidia) ?

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have AMD hardware. Both computers are using an A10-5800K CPU, one has dedicated graphics (Radeon 6870) and the other the iGPU (7000 series). Catalyst has never been installed on either. I also have an Intel IvyBridge laptop and it's ok. So must be graphics.

I purged oibaf on the computer with dedicated graphics and was able to get the greeter, but whenever I gave it my credentials, it would go straight back to the greeter. I ended up just upgrading it to 15.04 after getting to the desktop by running startx from a virtual terminal. It works, and the kernel hasn't changed (since I installed a mainline one). So plasma 5 and mesa 10.5.2 from the repos works.

Comment

Working...
        X