This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox [crash] is my favorite [crash] browser, by far [crash]

Every day - 2 to 4 crashes. Currently, I have 34 tabs in one window. It's not unusual for me to have 3 windows with a total of well over a hundred windows. Before someone gets all excited about my overloading the browser, let me just say that while I'm a pathetically impotent programmer, even I can cook up an algorithm for keeping a browser from turning into the incompetent monster Firefox so easily becomes (note available memory, and dump stored pages, but not URLS, at some safe limit).

I switched from Chrome to Firefox a few months back because of what appeared to be incessant memory leaks with Chrome, necessitating multiple reboots daily to just keep from the whole system's freezing up. A number of people here applauded the move, and I myself was happy to return to my long favorite browser. But Firefox appears to have the same memory leak problem, just not as bad. And it cannot keep from blowing up. I can live with this (what choice do I have?). I'd just rather not have to.

I've posted about this before, and someone pointed out that there is a known bug, in existence for several YEARS, involving Firefox's crashing due to "too many tabs". Really? Is Mozilla that incompetent? Or is it that this problem just doesn't matter enough?

Does anyone have any ideas about how better to deal with this? I'm just curious. I find this situation most peculiar.

I don't know, as I suffer zero crashes as far as I can recall, using either Firefox or Chrome.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes

First place to look are extensions, I'd guess

Comment

After years of stability, firefox has been crashing a lot for me the last few months. Usually the crashes have to do with you tube, but not always and "The HTML5 player is currently used when possible."

My list of add-ons has not changed for years, though of course they have been updated often.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        I don't know, as I suffer zero crashes as far as I can recall, using either Firefox or Chrome.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes

First place to look are extensions, I'd guess
        Yeah. I'm afraid so. Makes sense, and I should have thought of this, but frankly I'm so occupied with my work that I don't have a lot of neural firepower left for being all that computer-clever.

SO...I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Comment

I often have 20 or 30 loaded tabs (and hundreds of inactive tabs, restored but not reloaded from previous sessions). It shouldn't make it crash.

But it can use a lot of memory (less than Chrome, still). I keep an eye on it via the "Memory Restart" extension which includes a toolbar display of current memory usage. If it gets too much (above 1 or 1.5G) I restart.

In the last version or so, Firefox memory management does seem to have got a bit worse, in that it increases more over time with the same usage, and doesn't decrease much if you close most tabs.

How many add-ons and plug-ins do you have? One of these may be responsible for the frequent crashes.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Abandoning Firefox

I can't afford the overhead. I have work to do. I get 4-8 crashes daily; it's been this way for so long I can't recall when it wasn't. Yes, I'm a heavy user. But, I expect browsers to BE usable - and useful, else what's the point? Yes, I know about problems with addons. I removed them all and the crashes continue. And the problem is at best loosely connected to the number of tabs I have.

The absolutely most infuriating thing of all is that that blasted Firefox crash reporter keeps popping up apologetically, giving the appearance that someone's watching and that something will be done about the problem, if only I tell them a little about it. This has been going on for close to a year. Plainly no one gives a damn.

I simply cannot afford to get involved in browser development, file bug reports every other day etc. I'm a user, not a developer. Actually, I AM a developer, but in an entirely different area, and my time needs to go there. I need a browser that is more reliable than this, so I can just get my work done. So...bye bye Firefox.

Context: I run Kubuntu 14.10, Firefox 38.0.1

Comment

Not interested enough to post a link to a crash report, or has Kubuntu disabled Crash Reporting for its builds of Firefox?

I use Beta builds downloaded and installed from Mozilla. Stable as a rock.

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Download Firefox Beta in your language — Mozilla

Have you tried Preferences > Advanced and remove the check mark for "Use hardware acceleration when available"?

Or just enjoy your other browser.

Comment

Working...
              X