This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB input issue

Hello everyone, I had an issue I was hoping I might get some help on please. The story goes like this, I installed Kubuntu 12.10 x86 with an encrypted LVM on a 120gb SSD, my system has 8gb of ram and a Black Edition Phenom II unlocked to a Quad Core(easily done in BIOS). I had it duel booting with Windows 7 (installed on a different SSD). It worked ok, but it would always give me warnings that it needed to be updated. I updated it a few times, but it would never seem to update to the newest version. So I downloaded and burned 14.10 x64 onto a dvd and tried to reinstall it. The reinstall went fine, no issues, but it did not reboot my computer. I had to hit the reboot button after 5 minutes. Then upon starting up, it said it could not "wake up" my CPU cores. I shut it down, waited 10 seconds, and started it back up, it booted but I had no use of my USB wireless keyboard and mouse. I shut the system down, reinstalled the newest version. Again I had to press the reset button to reboot it, but it did reboot correctly this time, though I still have no use of my keyboard and mouse. It asks for my passphrase to decrypt the drive, but it does not accept any input. I am connected to the internet and have set it to install any 3rd party software needed, and any updates available. The Live CD of Kubuntu works perfectly, no issues.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, or could please point me in the correct direction? I'm a semi-newb, I did bashed my head through an install of Gentoo linux a few years ago, where I got my first taste of KDE. That is why I wanted to install Kubuntu, less head pain to install but the same desktop look and feel.

ya the "download updates and install extra software" takes along time and dose not show what it's doing some times .

I have found it best NOT to do this at install time and just update it and install the extra packages after the install .

redo the install without checking those tempting tick boxes and after your up and running ,,,,,,first do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
    just a FYI 14.04 is a LTS (long term support) the newest ver (an interm about to go release) is 15.04

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well I had no issues with the time it took to install the extra software or updates, they installed just fine and the install completed, it just would not restart after that. Also I am using 14.10 not 14.04. But I tried this anyway and my computer will still not boot to Kubuntu, it gets through Grub but will not load the OS, the HDD light is not even blinking.

Comment

Originally posted by BEDickey View Post
        Hello everyone, I had an issue I was hoping I might get some help on please. The story goes like this, I installed Kubuntu 12.10 x86 with an encrypted LVM on a 120gb SSD, my system has 8gb of ram and a Black Edition Phenom II unlocked to a Quad Core(easily done in BIOS). I had it duel booting with Windows 7 (installed on a different SSD). It worked ok, but it would always give me warnings that it needed to be updated. I updated it a few times, but it would never seem to update to the newest version.
        when the system lets you know you have updates it is not saying you nead to upgrade to a new version of the OS (unless a window poped up letting you know a new version was available ,,,and you still dont half to take it ) it is saying their are updates available for the packages (software)you have installed and doing that will NOT take you to a new version of Kubuntu.

Originally posted by BEDickey View Post
        So I downloaded and burned 14.10 x64 onto a dvd and tried to reinstall it. The reinstall went fine, no issues, but it did not reboot my computer. I had to hit the reboot button after 5 minutes. Then upon starting up, it said it could not "wake up" my CPU cores. I shut it down, waited 10 seconds, and started it back up, it booted but I had no use of my USB wireless keyboard and mouse. I shut the system down, reinstalled the newest version. Again I had to press the reset button to reboot it, but it did reboot correctly this time, though I still have no use of my keyboard and mouse. It asks for my passphrase to decrypt the drive, but it does not accept any input. I am connected to the internet and have set it to install any 3rd party software needed, and any updates available. The Live CD of Kubuntu works perfectly, no issues.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, or could please point me in the correct direction? I'm a semi-newb, I did bashed my head through an install of Gentoo linux a few years ago, where I got my first taste of KDE. That is why I wanted to install Kubuntu, less head pain to install but the same desktop look and feel.
        their are some reports/posts around about not being abel to enter a paraphrase for an encrypted LVM in the login screen around in the 14.10 release,,,, one workaround I read was to switch to a TTY and login their or boot strait to a text console log in enter your paraphrase and then startx ,,,but I do not use encrypted LVM so can not say for sure.

BEDickey
        Well I had no issues with the time it took to install the extra software or updates, they installed just fine and the install completed, it just would not restart after that.
        I would say that is not just fine then.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post

I would say that is not just fine then.

VINNY
          While I do agree with this, by that I ment that the install process completed successfully, to the point where it tried to reboot the computer, and it could not. Kubuntu was telling me that there was a new version out, that is what prompted me to try and update it to begin with. Either way I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Comment

The hints are there. I'd also suggest an install without the upgrades or codecs checked. It's extremely easy to get everything after the installation and reboot. Although getting to the Command Line, logging in and doing a sudo update-grub may (should) fix things so that you can boot the Operating Systems on your system.
            Last edited by luckyone; Apr 15, 2015, 03:55 PM.
            GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
            X