This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu ssd

SSD arrives tomorrow. Want to install dual boot win7 and kubuntu. System will have 500Gb SSD and three 1TB HDD.One drive will be for data (music, pix, etc) that both OS's will use.

is there anything special I should do to either OS? I know I can do some registry edits in win7 to move the users directory, temp files, and such to one of the hdds.
    I suspect I should make a partition on one of the hdds for /tmp. Are there any other areas I should keep off the ssd?

Any specific or general recommendations appreciated

/tmp is used a lot, might as well put it on the SSD so that you benefit from the much faster speeds. Modern SSDs don't have the issues with wear leveling that plagued very early hardware. In fact, your drive will probably outlast you

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      /tmp is used a lot, might as well put it on the SSD so that you benefit from the much faster speeds. Modern SSDs don't have the issues with wear leveling that plagued very early hardware. In fact, your drive will probably outlast you
      Good to know. Got Windows 7 installed so far and it boots in roughly 15 seconds from a cold start. I know kubuntu will be even quicker as it always is. Want to get a small drive for son's computer. His is full Kubuntu. Would 30G be enough for the OS? Saw one on amazon for $15. His !tb hdd could handle anything else

Comment

30GB should be fine ... especially if it doesn't include /home
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
        X