X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first of plasma 5 weather widgets

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=169572
    Description:
    Plasmoid for showing weather information from yr.no server.

Features:
    - shows basic info (with font-like icons) in panel
    - shows meteogram in expanded plasmoid

Future plans:
    - town/place picker
    - support for more then 1 places
    - more info in expanded plasmoid
    - support for vertical layout

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Second...

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=164194
    Description:
    Yahoo! Weather Widget written in QML.

Designed to be reliable and fast.

Requires Plasma Desktop 5 for new 5.x version. KDE >= 4.10 for old v0.5.1
    Have you tried ?

Comment

To get the yahoo weather widget to work, I needed to install qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel, else the widget didn't work. Not sure if this is installed by default or not.

snapshot11.png

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        To get the yahoo weather widget to work, I needed to install qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel, else the widget didn't work. Not sure if this is installed by default or not.
        no, just had to install it to work.

nice widget btw.

Comment

Originally posted by deadite66 View Post
          no, just had to install it to work.

nice widget btw.
          I had to install the package to get it to work. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I would prefer this one, specially if it would be able to show temperature and image together on panel (not side by side). But, I can't test it, it says it's installed, but it's not even listed on widgets when I try to add it.

Comment

command line

But, I can't test it, it says it's installed, but it's not even listed on widgets when I try to add it.

With the command line there should be meaningful information - error messages etc...

Tools

Code:
              :~$ plasmapkg2 --help
              Usage: plasmapkg2 [options]
              Plasma Package Manager

Options:
                -v, --version             Displays version information.
                -h, --help                Displays this help.
                --hash <path>             Generate a SHA1 hash for the package at <path>
                -g, --global              For install or remove, operates on packages
                                          installed for all users.
                -t, --type <type>         The type of package, e.g. theme, wallpaper,
                                          plasmoid, dataengine, runner, layout-template, etc.
                -i, --install <path>      Install the package at <path>
                -s, --show <name>         Show information of package <name>
                -u, --upgrade <path>      Upgrade the package at <path>
                -l, --list                List installed packages
                --list-types              List all known package types that can be installed
                -r, --remove <name>       Remove the package named <name>
                -p, --packageroot <path>  Absolute path to the package root. If not supplied,
                                          then the standard data directories for this KDE
                                          session will be searched instead.
              Example

Downloading: plasma-applet-weather-widget-master.zip

Unpacking the zip file.

Installing.

cd to ../plasma-applet-weather-widget-master/

Running:
              Code:
              plasmapkg2 -i org.kde.weatherWidget
              Output:
              Code:
              pluginname:  "org.kde.weatherWidget"
              Generated  "/home/oneline/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids//kpluginindex.json"  ( 9  plugins)
              -- Copying  "/home/oneline/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.weatherWidget/metadata.desktop" "/home/oneline/.local/share/kservices5/plasma-applet-org.kde.weatherWidget.desktop"
              Copying metadata went ok.
              Successfully installed /home/oneline/Weather/plasma-applet-weather-widget-master/org.kde.weatherWidget
              => Everything OK.

Check:

Code:
              :~$ plasmapkg2 --list | grep weather

com.librehat.yahooweather
              org.kde.weatherWidget
              => OK

Available ?

=> OK

Working ?

=> OK
              Have you tried ?

Comment

Thanks for your help! But I've got:
                Code:
                $  plasmapkg2 --list | grep weather
                No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/home/george/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/plasma-applet-weather-widget-master//metadata.desktop"
                No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/home/george/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/plasma-applet-weather-widget-master//metadata.desktop"
                Constructing a KPluginInfo object from old style JSON. Please use kcoreaddons_desktop_to_json() for "" instead of kservice_desktop_to_json() in your CMake code.
                kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/george/.cache/ksycoca5"
                com.librehat.yahooweather
                org.kde.weatherWidget
                Despite the error messages it's working, but I can't choose vertical layout. And clicking the icon on panel gives me an empty box, no meteogram...
                Is this just to show weather conditions or also forecast (not meteogram), like the yahoo one?

Comment

To make the helping a bit easier

Please, tell what have you done ?
                  Input/output ?

Despite the error messages it's working, but I can't choose vertical layout.
                  ??

Is this just to show weather conditions or also forecast (not meteogram), like the yahoo one?
                  ??

The meteogram is 48 hour forecast.
                  Have you tried ?

Comment

LOL.
                    1) Following the steps, l've Just run the commands you've posted at folder that I wanted the plasmoid to be (~/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids).
                    2) I can't choose vertical layout on panel (I suppose this, on panel, makes the temperature to be placed above the icon).
                    3) Meteogram just shows 48hs forecast, I was asking for five days or so of forecast.

Comment

I'm sure the widgets will get new features over time (they are quite new).

In the mean time, being qml, they are fairly easy to modify (if you know your way around qml), here's an example of a tinkered version (with a link to 9-day forecast on their website):
                      Attached Files

Comment

Huh ??

1) Following the steps, l've Just run the commands you've posted at folder that I wanted the plasmoid to be (~/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids).
                        Why ?
                        Code:
                        -i, --install <path>      Install the package at <path>
                        If you are at the folder 'plasma-applet-weather-widget-master' then you could leave the path off.

2) I can't choose vertical layout on panel (I suppose this, on panel, makes the temperature to be placed above the icon).
                        Did you read the plasmoid developer future plans ?
                        Future plans:
                        - support for vertical layout
                        Last edited by OneLine; Apr 05, 2015, 03:52 PM.
                        Have you tried ?

Comment

Yeah, thanks for pointing that, I should have used with "- i" argument.
                          I thought vertical layout was added already, I didn't read carefully.
                          All in all, I'm really glad to have the weather widget back (currently using yahoo's one).

Comment

I just did the add widgets> get new widgets> download widgets> search for widgets> install this widget> thing to get the yahoo one

look's good I think.

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              I also have had to install qml-module . . . . to get it to work. I found this out by reading the error message and started typing into Muon the first few characters of the missing package name and this module popped up.

I must say that I was hoping that yawp would be made made to work with Plasma, but when I try to install it, I get the message that plasma-widget-yawp is not installable, This package makes it easier to find the location by typing in the city and country rather than finding the WOEID code.

I must say that I like to work with an uncluttered desktop screen, so I decided to install the yahoo weather widget on the task bar. As I am interested in the weather for two different locations, I installed it twice and put in a different WOEID code for each. This works well and still gives me an uncluttered desktop. In the example below that illustrates how this works, I have used the Oxygen theme because the weather widget for fog conditions cannot be easily seen using breeze. You will see the clock that I cannot get against the right margin.

Weather_Yahoo.jpg

I am also wondering where the weather information is obtained. For example, I checked the readings against the Australian Bureau of Meteorology site and I got the following;
                              ........................Yahoo.............. BOM
                              Thursday..............9-21.............11-20
                              Friday................11-23..............11-21
                              Saturday............14-25..............11-23
                              Sunday..............16-26..............13-25

Maybe I should be taking the attitude that near enough is good enough.
                              Last edited by NoWorries; Apr 08, 2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X