X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screensaver not disabled during playback [firefox browser]

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue where whenever I play video on firefox, the screensaver initates. I have tried using the scripts that I found when searching the issue, but they do not seem to work. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix, or are we stuck just having to disable to screensaver everytime we want to watch a video? Not sure if it works with other browsers, but for those that will suggest it, I would prefer to keep using firefox as my preferred and default browser. If anyone knows of a fix, please post as this issue has been happening since version 14.04. Thank you for any and all assistance that can be provided on this matter.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Comment

What are the steps you have tried that have failed?

Does the same happen if you play a video in another browser or in a media app like VLC? - This is for diagnosis - if one of them behaves properly we could look at the technique it uses.

Was it OK in previous versions, since you say it's been a problem since 14.04?

What are your power management settings - screen dimming & screensaver times?
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

All very good questions. Thank you for the reply. I will get as much information as I can I will get back to as soon as possible.

Comment

I have only tried a script by the name of lights0n. It was supposed to work for only firefox, but that does not seem to be case in kubuntu 14.04 or 14.10. Also, when it comes to media app players, I have tried it with VLC, smplayer, banshee and totem player and the issue does not exist. In other words, it only happens when I use firefox and opera. I do not use opera often, but I did use it for testing today, and the screensaver does come on when watching videos, fullscreen or not.

My power settings are as follows when I go to system settings and power management:

1- energy saving tab
          -screen energy saving [disabled]
          -suspend session [disabled]
          -button events handling [prompt log out dialog]
          -run script [disabled]

2- Activity Settings
          -[don't use special settings] is selected

3- Advanced Settings
          -Events
          [Never prevent an action on lid close] selected

Comment

So it works as expected with a dedicated media player, and the issue only exists with browsers?

This suggests KDE is working fine in terms of suspending the screensaver when requested to, but Firefox isn't set up to send the request.

This bug suggests it was fixed in Firefox 30 for Windows, but I'm not clear on the situation for Linuxes. 517870 – Video should disable screensaver during playback
            It raises some questions though - are you playing videos in Flash or HTML5 or both? Do you want the screensaver suppressed if you load a page with a video ad or a video background?

Comment

Comment

Sorry I have not responded on in a while. I have been pretty busy. I did look at the link and it seems flash videos will not be fixed. I saw that it said to use lights0n, which I have tried but did not fix the issue. I guess I will have to chalk this one up as a loss. As much as I love KDE's desktop environment, I might have to move on to a gnome based desktop environment. I never did experience an issue like this with gnome. I am not to fond of the wiggle mouse command. Will that command interfere with the unclutter command I have for the mouse? If it makes my mouse and the flashplayer's control visible, then this option will not work for me. If you have any other ideas, please let me know, and I will implement them in hopes that it will work.

P.S. I like the comic strip.

Edit: I installed ubuntu 14.04 and i am still experiencing the same issue. You are right, it seems to flash not properly coded to recognize a screensaver. I tested it with html5 videos and the screensaver does not interrupt the video. I guess I just learned that adobe does not really play nice with linux (unfortunately). If someone can my answer my question about wiggle mouse, it would be most appreciated.
                Last edited by flipflip47; May 11, 2015, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Bumping the thread to see if anyone can answer my question on wiggle mouse.

Comment

Working...
                  X