X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network printing problem

I did a search but couldn't find anything appropriate:

I am running Kubuntu 14.10, and network printing doesn't work properly. My University has network printers run on a cups server (version 1.1 - and therein lies the problem I think). The only setting up I have done is to add a .cups folder in my home directory with 2 files:

client.conf with the single line:
    Code:
    ServerName 130.xxx.xxx.xxx/version=1.1
    and
    lpoptions with the default printer's name:
    Code:
    Default AA-1234
    I can print fine from some software, but not from others:
    No printing: Firefox, Thunderbird, Document Viewer
    Printing ok: Okular, Google Chrome, Rekonq, Libre Office

In the problematic software, I get a pop-up which finds the printer queue ok, and under status each printer says "printer ready", but when I select any printer, the status changes to "getting printer information"

In the successful software, I get a different pop-up window (smaller, and with a drop-down menu to select the printer). That works fine.

And with google chrome (which has its own printing pop-up/menu and that works), if I do Ctrl-P and then click on "Print Using System Dialogue..." I get the same problem as with FF etc (the same window, with the same status issue).

Does anyone know what's going on? Apparently, there are two ways the system communicates with the network printers, one works and the other doesn't.

Thanks

ps I've had this problem since ubuntu decided to use cups 2.0 as default. I forget which release that was - perhaps 13.10?

What does localhost:631 in a browser show?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      What does localhost:631 in a browser show?

The page says CUPS 1.7.5

... and various links.

Does that help?

Thanks

J

Comment

What does the PRINTERS tab show?

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunlvr for your help ...

It has a box with "Search in Printers", and underneath it has "No printers"

James

ps If it's any help ... this is a new install of Kubuntu 14.10 (on a new desktop). And I did nothing to configure printers except add the .cups folder I mentioned above.

pps I don't think this is relevant - but I'm doing this remotely from my mac at home, using ssh -X to connect to my desktop.

Comment

you should use the cups control panel (http://localhost:631) to add the printer to your desktop . well there is a KCM also (systemsettings) that you can use to add the printer as well.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for your interest sithlord48
              The cups control panel doesn't see any printers. However, printing from the command line works fine. And it knows about my default printer, which is set in my .cups directory.

(Sorry for the time lag - I've been away for a week but I'm now back in my office.)

Comment

you maybe overriding stuff with your .cups settings. you should use the cups control panel to add the printer. copy your edited .cups stuff somewhere and give it a go . if i fails to work replace you .cups edits.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks.
                  If I remove the .cups folder then the control panel for adding a printer doesn't find the network printers. At least not those on the cups server (it does appear to find some printers, but they have names I don't recognize, so I guess aren't the ones I'm supposed to be using).

Comment

Resolved: The person responsible fr the cups server here supplied me with the ppd file so I could install the printers using localhost:631 as suggested above.

That all worked fine except for Thunderbird, where I had to disable the add-on "Messaging Menu and Unity Launcher integration". (No problem since I don't use it - I don't know why it's installed by default!)

Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

Working...
                    X