This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dist-upgrade gives Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel

I did a dist-upgrade on 14.10 from vmlinuz-3.16.0-31 to, apparently, 33. But during the process, it gave me

Setting up linux-image-3.16.0-33-generic (3.16.0-33.44) ...
    Running depmod.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
    Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.16.0-33-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-33-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.16.0-33-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-33-generic
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.16.0-33-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-331/331.113/build/make.log for more information.

But there is no such file as /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-331/331.113/build/make.log or anything like that.

I am afraid to reboot, as my system may be screwed up. Is it? Thanks in advance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Is there any way to force the system to do whatever it is is being done there? Maybw by deleting /boot/*33*?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Check this out, try the fix mentioned here
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1268257

you may have to install the -uvm package related to your specific driver, if it is not present (but I think it should be)

You should be safe to reboot, but you would have to boot to the previous kernel from the grub menu, assuming that the dkms thing successfully built the kernel module for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
        Is there any way to force the system to do whatever it is is being done there? Maybw by deleting /boot/*33*?
        The steps in the bug report I linked to are doing just that- making the system rebuild the modules, properly I assume

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Check this out, try the fix mentioned here
          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1268257

you may have to install the -uvm package related to your specific driver, if it is not present (but I think it should be)
          Thanks, I will try that. Uh, what does uvm indicate? I noticed that that

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-331

rebuilt /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-31-generic, whereas

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-331-uvm

rebuilt initrd.img-3.16.0-33-generic

... I think.

Comment

I......dunno, but the problem you are having was with the newer 3.16.0-33-generic kernel

Comment

I have seen this error before,,,,,,,,,in my case it was benign ,,,,,and the module/diver had built ok.

you can run dkms your self and if the module is built and installed it will say so ,,,,,,,,.

see man dkms ,,,,,,,,,-something like "sudo dkms install -m nvidia-331 -v 331.113" should do to build for the running kernel ,,,,,,,if it is already installed it will say so .

Code:
                      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo dkms install -m nvidia-346 -v 346.47   [/COLOR]
              [sudo] password for vinny:  
              Module nvidia-346/346.47 already installed on kernel 3.19.0-10-generic/x86_64 
              vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ 

[/FONT]
              VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X