This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game disk no longer recognized after reinstall

I recently had to install Kubuntu from scratch after a failed upgrade (and I have a separate home partition) and while most things seem to work as before it's been giving me some problems too. One of the ones I haven't been able to figure out is why it won't recognize my CD for Deus Ex, a windows game I was able to play in Wine. I mean I can't even mount the disk anymore. When the option pops up in the systray after I insert the disk it only calls it "CD-ROM" (instead of "Deus Ex" as before) and clicking on the Mount button does nothing. On the bizarre chance that the disk was coincidentally damaged at the same time I checked it in windows and windows can read it just fine, but Kubuntu still can't. I can read other disks ok, so what on earth could be causing this?

Other things I've tried: cleaning the disk, cloning the disk in k3b (kept giving "can't read source disk" errors), installing Kubuntu-restricted-extras
    -Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

If you're sure the drive itself isn't on the way to failing, could it be an encrypted DVD? Have you installed libdvdcss? RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs - Community Help Wiki

This may not help.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I have no reason to suspect the drive. The computer isn't that old and I've had no problems with any other disks. And it is a CD so drivers shouldn't matter, but I tried installing the restricted formats anyway. No luck. I had more opportunity to test it in Windows today. The file manager has no problem with it (can read, copy files, etc.), but when I tried to made a clone of the disk it kept failing, or taking way too long (est. 24 hours to copy). So maybe it is the disk, just damaged enough for some things but not others? Can that happen? It just seemed weird that it happened the exact same time as I reinstalled the OS.
      -Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Comment

Working...
      X