This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto mounting 2 hard drives at boot

I have two hard drives on my machine, /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. The first is mounted at / and the second is mounted at /media/mark/d98....
    How can I mount the second drive at / so it's visible on my home LAN? Currently, only sda1 is visible on the network. Any thoughts?

You can probably achieve what you want ... but not quite the way you describe it!

You can't mount two drives at the same point, obviously.
    /media/mark/... is already part of / - everything is in one filesystem in Linux with / as the root.
    Next thought: having your root drive visible on the network is probably a bad idea! But given that it is, can you navigate from it to /media/mark?

How is it visible on the LAN - is it an SMB (windows style) share?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Yes, this is a mixed marriage (linux & windoze via samba). What is irritating is that since I upgraded to Kubuntu 14.10, when I want to look at the second hard drive in dolphin, it asks me for the root password to mount the drive! Something is screwy here. I just can't figure out what. Besides, once I create the network share, why wouldn't the second drive be available via samba?

Thanks.

Comment

What are your samba configurations for sharing?

Regarding dolphin asking for a password, that could be a reason why it's not visible via samba. Do you mount it via /etc/fstab and what are the permissions?
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
        X