This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[NETWORK] alternative if-up.d sequence

So we have NetworkManager. I am not at all sure if this is just an Ubuntu/Debian thing, but they exist in both.

And NetworkManager has a dispatcher.d but it is not very difficult from if-up.d, right? It executes all the scripts in if-up.d as well. It has somewhat more environment variables available to its scripts. Other than that I have not witnessed a large number of differences.

NetworkManager of course has a nice command line interface as well, particularly, I believe, if you want to control wifi networks or hotspots.

But I am more interested today in default bootup sequences for when a device is to be brought online.

So the first thing to understand is that run-parts has a flag called --exit-on-error and it is usually automatically set by ifup. This means that if any script in if-up.d/ fails, it will cease execution of the rest and not flag the interface as being brought online in that primitive system that just sets a line of text in /var/run/network/ifstate. But the weird thing is that the scripts in if-up.d are by default (as per the installation) not ordered the way rc.d/ scripts are. They are not numbered, so any order is quite arbitrary or random. That is a weird combination.

ifup does have a flag --ignore-errors, which renders the opposite behaviour.

However, the /etc/network/interfaces file does not have flag for that, which means the "auto" keyword will just do the default behaviour for ifup, which renders the non-default behaviour of run-parts, which causes it to exit on error.

Then we (I) don't yet know what NetworkManager would do. But it executes run-parts without the parameter, causing a different behaviour. So we can see right away then that this causes for a different design.

Now the goal really for me is:

a. being able to fail the ifup if required
    b. being able to chain different scripts together in order.

The problem for me is that there is only one fail-condition, which is not-0. If there were different fail conditions, one script could be given the error code of a previous script, but obviously run-parts would not support that.

Currently I have like scripts that first test for a link (which then is a hard-fail) and other scripts that depend on the link which are soft-fail, they should not prevent the IF from coming up, but still they are chained together at times.

So how can I communicate from one script to the next? One quite ..attractive solution would perhaps be to write your own internal run-parts engine, that just executes scripts that run-parts will not execute directly.

In the sense that dispatcher.d/01ifupdown would execute run-parts, and run-parts would again run a script called "soft-fail" which would chain together other scripts using exit codes.

It is an easy solution, I think I will implement it now.
Working...
X