Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is nVidia 7600GS 256MB supported by KDE5?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is nVidia 7600GS 256MB supported by KDE5?

Hello guys,
    I am tried to install new Kubuntu 15.04 64bit Alpha 1 to my little bit old desktop PC, and I am found big troubles with KDE5.

My configuration is
    CPU: AMD Opteron 180 (2 cores, 64bit)
    RAM: 4 GB
    VGA: nVidia GeForce 7600GS, 256 MB RAM
    HDD: WD RE, 300 GB SATA150
    SOUND: SoudBlaster Live! 5.1

Installation is almost OK - only problem is that Noveau driver has troubles with Plasma drawing on my VGA.
    After installtion I was able install nVidia proprietary drivers instead - then after reboot, login page appear corectly, and login is successgull - but when welcome screen will pass, then I will got only black screen with mouse cursor.

Kubuntu is fully updated, nVidia driver 304 is installed from Kubuntu repositories (I am tried driver recommended by Kubuntu Driver Manager as well, but situation was the same).

This may or may not help, but make sure the file

~/.cache/ksycoca5

belongs to you, not to root. I was getting a black screen with both the nouveau and nvidia drivers after logging on, but that solved the problem.

(For some reason, installing the nvidia driver from the repositories wanted to drag in a whole lot of gnome-related packages, so I used the binary installer downloaded from NVIDIA's web site.)

Comment

Thanks for tip, but unfortunately, this is not my case - owner and rights are set correctly on the mentioned file.

Odesláno z mého SM-N910F pomocí Tapatalk

Comment

I am dug little bit around this problem, and I am found following:

When nVidia proprietary driver is uninstalled, then Nouveau start working correctly, but XRender must be set for Compositor drawing - if any OpenGL version is set instead, then compositor drawing desktop and windows with glitches.
        If XRender is set, then nVidia proprietary driver could be installed again, but then compositor performance is bad, and there could be black fragments in screen, e.g. in Firefox, and another errors as well.
        Settig any OpenGL verssion in Compositor with nVidia proprietary driver is causing KDE freezing immediately, only HW mouse cursor is working.

So, Nouveau driver with XRender is working quite good, but nVidia prorietary driver is unussable with any OpenGL setting in Compositor, and it is very problematic and slow if XRender is used.
        I hope that KDE5 will solve those issues with Compositor on nVidia proprietary driver, bacause Noueau drivers are already good for desktop, but useless for games.

Comment

Did you try using the "nvidia-xconfig" tool from the command line (usually outside of X Windows, e.g. press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to go to a virtual terminal and run it from there) to create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? Typically you need to run "nvidia-xconfig --composite" in order for it to enable the compositing extension in your xorg.conf. (Oh yeah, that's as root or using sudo.)

Type "nvidia-xconfig -A | less" in order to see all the advanced options.
          Last edited by eco2geek; Mar 08, 2015, 06:03 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

plasmashell may have crashed. If you can, try the alt-f2 to open Krunner and type in "plasmashell" , it should start the desktop. I have seen it not load initially, but it usually loads fine after that, and once you update your system.

I did not have to run any nvidia config tools to get things to work, those were done automagically when the driver tool installed things.

Comment

Hello guys, I believe that it is not nVidia driver or Xserver setting issue - it looks that nVidia driver is installed correctly, I am tried it many times yeasterday, via Driver manager and via console as well - more it looks like KWin compositor issue. I hope that it will be solved later, because my computer was working OK with Kubntu 14.04, so KWin compositor from KDE4 doesn't suffer by this.

Comment

As your graphics card is fairly old, it may take some tweaks to improve opengl 2 performance with the Legacy nvidia drivers you have to use. It is also possible that the proprietary drivers are still a bit in flux in Ubuntu 15.04 in general at the moment.

Comment

I tried 3 times to install and setup this 15.04 beta 1 after which I gave up and returned to 14.10.

Everything installs OK and is well at first sight, but as soon as I update the system and install nvidia drivers, after reboot plasma loader crahes, I restart it, crashes again and so on.
                  Sometimes I am thrown to login screen (although I set up autologin) in which I can not log on to Desktop, neither as me or guest user.

Lost 3 hours, gave up, will wait for stable release. 14.10 is less graphic fancy but it works.

Comment

15.04's kernel is updated to the newest 3.19 version. Maybe nvidia drivers in 15.04 are not updated to support 3.19 kernel yet.
                    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

If I remember well, after instalation of Alpha 1 there was kernel 3.18, and it was not working too, so I suppose that it is not an issue.

Odesláno z mého SM-N910F pomocí Tapatalk

Comment

Before I had the NVIDIA card I have now, I had an NVIDIA GeForce 7300GS, and an NVIDIA GeForce 6200LE before that. "XRender" usually worked, but In order to run KDE correctly with GLX compositing, both of those cards needed an xorg.conf file. So that's my advice. Up to you.

I'll shut up and go away now. :-) Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X