Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shutdown dialog does not appear sometimes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown dialog does not appear sometimes.

Sometimes, when I click on: Menu -> Leave -> Shutdown
    then the shutdown dialog refuses to appear, and I have to resort to sudo halt which does work OK.

It is a bit annoying, so is there a more forcible way to make the shutdown dialog appear?

Or is there an alternative shutdown dialog that I can try to see if that works?

(Kubuntu 14.10 64-bit)

Go to /home/user_name/.kde/share/config folder and delete ksmserverrc file. (You may create a copy of this file first or just move it to another folder).
    Then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and execute
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    The next time you log in, shutdown, logout dialog will function properly.

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
      Go to /home/user_name/.kde/share/config folder and delete ksmserverrc file.
      OK, thanks. I'll try that and see how it goes. The bug only happens on some days.

Comment

Well, I'm afraid it hasn't worked.

I renamed ksmserverrc, then selected the option of starting with an empty session:
        Systemsettings -> startup -> session -> login -> empty session
        And I found that a new ksmserverrc file was created containing just the following:

[General]
        confirmLogout=true
        excludeApps=
        loginMode=default
        offerShutdown=true
        shutdownType=0

But I'm still getting the shutdown-dialog failing to appear about one boot in four.

Comment

I don't know what is the cause of the problem. What I gave you was just a workarund. It worked for me.

But after removing this file you need to restart without making any changes, because it will create a new file. When you restart a new file will be created automatically with default settings. Only after this you can introduce new changes in system settings.

There are a few bug reports on this problem

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=328571
          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1000690
          https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=327543

Not much hope they will solve it anytime soon.

Comment

Pressing the computer's power button should present a shutdown dialogue too (depending on settings, in Power Management). But if the Leave menu doesn't work, there's a good chance this won't either...
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
              But after removing this file you need to restart without making any changes, because it will create a new file. When you restart a new file will be created automatically with default settings. Only after this you can introduce new changes in system settings.
              OK, I did that, then used systemsettings to select starting with an empty session. I got identical settings in the [General] section, but I also got a mass of stuff included in a [LegacySession: saved at previous logout] section, which hopefully would be ignored and not be responsible for upsetting anything due to the empty-session setting. So I don't think it will make any difference.

Thanks for the list of relevant bug reports. I guess I can put up with this for now and do a fresh install of 15.04 when it's ready later next month, and see how that goes.

In the meantime, I've enabled the ctrl-alt-backspace X-server shutdown, and can then shutdown from the LightDM menu, which might be a bit safer than "sudo halt" from KDE.

Comment

Had another Google for this issue today and found a command that would shutdown KDE from the command line and capture the debug output:

QDBUS_DEBUG=1 qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 2 2 >shutdown.log 2>&1

So I compared the output of the above when the shutdown dialog was refusing to appear (and the above command didn't trigger a shutdown either) with the output of the same command when the shutdown dialog could appear (and the command did trigger a shutdown). In fact, the output was identical in both cases, so no clue there. I won't include it in full since it doesn't seem to help:

QDBusConnectionPrivate(0x8251f0) : connected successfully
                QDBusConnectionPrivate(0x8251f0) sending message (blocking): QDBusMess...
                QDBusConnectionPrivate(0x8251f0) got message reply (blocking): QDBusMe...
                [ about 70 lines of stuff including an XML file ]
                Adding rule: type='signal',sender='org.freedesktop.DBus',interf ace='or...
                QDBusConnectionPrivate(0x8251f0) sending message (blocking): QDBusMess...
                QDBusConnectionPrivate(0x8251f0) got message reply (blocking): QDBusMe...
                Removing rule: type='signal',sender='org.freedesktop.DBus',interf ace='...

Seems there's no easy way to debug the problem, unless anybody knows differently?

Comment

Working...
                X