This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no shutdown

My desktop has failed to shuitown for a long time and I have had to resort to the power switch. My laptop has no issues with power down only the desktop.

Recently got to looking through the /etc directory and noticed something strange: No /etc/rcX.d directories: see attachment

Could the lack of any rcX.d directories and files prevent power shutdown?? Seems like it could to me.

How do I restore the needed directories??
    Attached Files

Searching for answers and found

update-rc.d

But reluctant to run without really knowing what I'm doing.

Comment

Found and ran the following command:

sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf

It created all of the rcX.d directories, but the machine still does not power off.

Comment

How far in the shutdown process does it get?
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I wait until the ethernet light on the router goes out and the disk activity light on the computer stops blinking, the display screen is blank and then I push the power button and hold until the computer power goes off (about 3 or 4 seconds). So I assume it shuts down completely except for the power down.

Comment

geezer, there is already another thread on this.
            I had this same problem, my solution was at post #50 it may work for you. The last two items mentioned in the post are as important as the first one too.

If that post post does not work for you read through the thread, there is some good info there.
            Last edited by anika200; Feb 23, 2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

So, just the system power. Are the disks closed properly? You don't get any warnings about needing to check disk integrity etc when rebooting?

If you run this, does the power go off?
              Code:
              sudo shutdown -P now

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                So, just the system power. Are the disks closed properly? You don't get any warnings about needing to check disk integrity etc when rebooting?

If you run this, does the power go off?
                Code:
                sudo shutdown -P now
                Disks are closed and no warnings abou tthe disks.

Changed to the TTY (Ctrl-Alt-F6) and did

sudo shutdown -P now

Same thing happened, bu the power does not turn off.

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
                  geezer, there is already another thread on this.
                  I had this same problem, my solution was at post #50 it may work for you. The last two items mentioned in the post are as important as the first one too.

If that post post does not work for you read through the thread, there is some good info there.
                  Thanks - I had already read through that thread and there was nothing there that fixed my problem. Also moving the file you mentioned had no effect.

Thanks for the heads though.

Comment

I wonder if it's something in the BIOS rather than in the OS ... do you have another OS installed? Or a bootable USB that you could test the same steps from?

Comment

I wonder if it's something in the BIOS rather than in the OS ... do you have another OS installed? Or a bootable USB that you could test the same steps from?
                      It is a dual boot machine with Windows Vista also installed. Never had any problem with Windows shutting down the machine. Wouldn't that rule out a BIOS problem?

Comment

It is a dual boot machine with Windows Vista also installed. Never had any problem with Windows shutting down the machine. Wouldn't that rule out a BIOS problem?

Comment

Yes, that seems to rule out BIOS.

It also means I've run out of suggestions ...

Comment

What is the usual list of programs that would be run on shutdown?

Since the rcX.d directories were missing, maybe the shurdown program is also missing.

Comment

I doubt it's a missing program. It's going to be something to do with power configuration ... which is the area about which I have no suggestions ...

Comment

Working...
                              X