This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wired network activated/deactivated

Since updating VirtualBox to 4.3.22 and the latest updates for Kubuntu 14.04.2 LTS today, I've been getting a notification every 30 seconds or so, "Connection 'Wired Network 1' deactivated" followed by "Connection 'Wired Network 1' activated".

I've tried re-installing the latest Guest Additions, rebooting client and host (Windows 7), but the problem just won't go away. During the message sequence, networking is indeed gone. This make getting work done over SSH and VNC impossible.

A little web surfing revealed a blogger with the same problem today (no solution yet), and some much older chatter about turning off IPv6 and/or switching to a static IP, but I'm not sure if that's related.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Not having upgraded beyond 4.2.x (and not having a Windows host), the one idea I have is to ask at https://forums.virtualbox.org/ - and I see mentions of this problem in virtualbox.org • View topic - Discuss the 4.3.22 release. But I don't see a fix
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      Not having upgraded beyond 4.2.x (and not having a Windows host), the one idea I have is to ask at https://forums.virtualbox.org/ - and I see mentions of this problem in virtualbox.org • View topic - Discuss the 4.3.22 release. But I don't see a fix
      Looks like a VBox problem since it is affecting everything from XP to Windows 10. I'll downgrade until they fix it.

Thanks!

Comment

I have the same problem on two boxes.
        For me it looks like a problem with the new installed kernel.
        The igb driver crashes if some (or more) activity happens.

On one box I installed the system new - it has now the software from the installer and the network is stable.
        The other box has the actual kernel and software and is not able to do a apt-get update - the network (or better the driver igb) crashes inbetween.

Comment

The update from today (to kernel 3.16.0-49-generic) seems to clear the problem.
          The network on my box is now stable.

Comment

Working...
          X