X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!

I have run into a serious problem.

Very recently, I installed Kubuntu over Windows.

However, when booting up the Live CD, the graphics were kind of glitched. While searching the internet, I found out how to turn off desktop effects, and assumed that I could just install a Nvidia graphics driver to solve the issue.

So, after it installed, I boot it up, and every time I boot up, the login screen works fine. I login, and the bootup screen greets me, but every time it reaches the fourth icon, the screen tears and freezes, and then the screen glitches out; what replaces the once gui is now a bunch of wavy blue diagonal lines. I tried to turn off desktop effects at the login screen, but no matter what I do, the same result happens.

I am a noob to Linux, despite the fact I have used it before. I have no idea what to do; I tried to connect to the internet from the LiveCD (which I was able to boot into just fine with the disabling trick), but I can't, because my computer uses a USB adapter that the LiveCD doesn't have the drivers for (I've installed Ubuntu before on the computer, and a similar thing happens, but when I install it, I am able to successfully connect to the internet. I was also able to boot into Ubuntu just fine).

Can someone help me? I'm basically stuck now with a useless computer.

Thank you.
    -Matt
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 07, 2015, 04:52 PM.

Something basic to try is make sure you are up to date. After login, or even at the login screen, open a terminal Ctl+Alt+F2, and login.

Then:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    $ sudo reboot
    Beyond that, people will need to know what version of Kubuntu you've installed and what graphics card you have.

Comment

We would need some sort of details to help you. Do you know what graphics card?
      Type this at the terminal and post it in the code tag:
      Code:
      lspci
      Can you look at the logs for errors, are there any?

Comment

Another thing you might try is to get out of the graphics screen (use ctl-alt-F1 to get to a terminal screen) and then see if you then have a login prompt. If so, logon and check to see what nvidia packages are installed:

Code:
        bweinel@beck:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep nvidia
        nvidia-331                                      install
        nvidia-331-uvm                                  install
        nvidia-libopencl1-331                           install
        nvidia-opencl-icd-331                           install
        nvidia-prime                                    install
        nvidia-settings                                 install
        At that point you can either futher troubleshoot the issue or remove the offending packages.

cheers,
        bill
        Last edited by bweinel; Feb 11, 2015, 02:15 PM.
        sigpic
        A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Try booting to the command line, then reverting to the nouveau driver for now.

When you see the grub menu, instead of letting it boot, hit "e" for edit. Carefully arrow over to "quite splash" and delete those two words and type in "text" then hit F10.

This should boot to a text console. Log in, type the command above that bweinel gave you, and then remove nvidia drivers with:

sudo apt-get remove

listing each driver from the list you get. Then reboot. See if you get to the desktop this time.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X